"Quilting Stitches" + Dual Feeder Foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Quilting Stitches" + Dual Feeder Foot

I have an older, used Viking 1+ machine that has a couple of "quilting" stitches already preprogrammed into the machine. I'm a newbie quilter, working on my first bed size quilt and wonder...am I supposed to or not supposed to use the dual feeder foot IF I use that swirly preprogrammed quilting stitch? I read on this forum that the dual feeder foot was only for straight line stitching (stitch in the ditch) primarily. I made one line of stitching (using that preprogrammed stitch and the dual feed foot) in the center of my quilt and I'm going to pull it all out as it looks horrible! I had the stitch at 2.5 to start and then lengthened it to 4 but it just had so much trouble with the sandwich that I'm wondering if I'm just not even supposed to use this swirly stitch with a dual feeder foot...anybody know? By the way, a round of applause to all of you experienced quilters out there...I am finding out just how much work it really is!!! (piecing was easy compared to this last part...basting and quilting....this is NOT EASY!!!

Re: "Quilting Stitches" + Dual Feeder Foot

If you mean the walking foot, I would say that is just for straight stitching. You may need to use the open toe foot that is used for free motion quilting/darning. If you have an instruction manual it should give you that information. Good luck.
    Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

Try it with the metal "B" foot and see how it feeds. The metal reduces the friction between the fabrics and helps everything to feed together better than plastic. I recently used my walking foot to put decorative stitches on the quilted shawl that I did and it worked fine but every Viking machine is different.
      Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
      Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
      Pinterest

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it!

Comment

I have no experience with a dual feeder foot so I really can't help at all here. There certainly will be someone on this site who can give you a good answer. Meanwhile, hang in there with the free motion quilting [FMQ] it takes practice...practice....practice. The binding is my sewing work while watching TV or while on my lunch break at work.
          Susan

Comment

Working...
          X