Satin Stitch Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satin Stitch Help

I got the Singer Quilting Confidence machine a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it. But one of the things I thought I was going to love about it was being able to machine applique. (So many quilt ideas floating in my head!)

But i'm having so much trouble getting the Satin stitch to do what I want. I've adjusted the width and length but can't seem to get it right. It either comes out more like a basic zigzag, with too much fabric showing in between, or if it does what I think I want it to do, (stitches nice and close together and flowing) it stalls and won't feed thru the machine.

I'm using both fusible web and a stabilizer. I've watched umpteen youtube videos, and just can't seem to duplicate what they're making look so easy!

The one thing I know I'm not doing, that they are, is "pulling my thread thru". What does that mean? Can someone help me with that? I've also seen reference to that when watching "stitch in the ditch" videos.

You guys are always so wonderful and have such helpful ideas, I hope someone can assist me!

TIA!

Kathey
    :icon_wave:

Re: Satin Stitch Help

Are you using the right foot? my machine has a satin stitch foot the has a wide groove in the bottom to allow the thick stitching to move thru easily. I can understand your frustration, i like a pretty satin stitch, too.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Yes, I'm using the satin stitch foot that came with the machine. It came with several "extra" bonus presser feet, and I've downloaded all the instructions for them, but I'm obviously doing something wrong where this is concerned.

Comment

Can you ask the store that you bought it from what the issue might be?

What thread are you using in the needle and the bobbin?

Are the feed dogs working appropriately?
        Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
        Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
        Pinterest

Comment

To pull the thread thru, put fabric under sewing foot and lower presser foot. Using your hand, turn the wheel to let the needle go down then bring it up one time take the tail of the upper thread and give it a slight pull and the bobbin thread will come up thru your fabric. Pull this up and lay both threads on top of fabric (to the back) then continue sewing. This keeps the bobbin from bunching up under your fabric.
          Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

Hi Kathey:

I have the exact same machine and I just went upstairs to play with it. I set the stitch to #3, the stitch length to about 1.5 and used various widths. It worked just fine for me.

You say your machine stalls--it just quits sewing? Or does the thread bunch up? Could you needle possibly be too small for the bulk it is going through? Try a slightly larger one and see if that helps.

BTW, I love my confidence quilter machine.
            When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Thanks Sunflower for the instructions on pulling the thread thru, I will try that.

Martha, thanks! When I say it stalls, I mean that the thread bunches up. I'm using the needle that came installed in the machine, hadn't thought about changing it out. I'll keep trying, I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong!

Comment

I have had this same problem when i was practicing applique', definitely try a larger needle. I have found that the needles my machine originally came with aren't very useful because of how small they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mkm2702 View Post
                  Thanks Sunflower for the instructions on pulling the thread thru, I will try that.

Martha, thanks! When I say it stalls, I mean that the thread bunches up. I'm using the needle that came installed in the machine, hadn't thought about changing it out. I'll keep trying, I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong!
                  Try using a 90/14 needle or a 75/11 needle depending on the thread you are using. You should always look to see what size needle is recommended for the thread you are using before you applique or do any kind of sewing as it will make a world of difference.
                  Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                  Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                  Pinterest

Comment

Thanks to all of you for great ideas, I sat down last night determined to master this, and I believe I finally did. Well, mastered the technique of making the machine do the stitch I want, now to practice until I feel like I can make this quilt worthy.

Going to definitely try swapping out the needles, such great advice, you guys rock!

Thanks!

Comment

Another applique idea I got from You Tube the other day is to put a piece of paper under your fabric to help stablize as you sew the applique on. Then just rip the paper off when you are done. I haven't tried it yet, but it looked like a great idea.
                      Here is the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efLU...eature=related
                      Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Marebear View Post
                        Another applique idea I got from You Tube the other day is to put a piece of paper under your fabric to help stablize as you sew the applique on. Then just rip the paper off when you are done. I haven't tried it yet, but it looked like a great idea.
                        Here is the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efLU...eature=related
                        Yes, I tried that, it does seem to help a lot!

Comment

Make sure you change you needle every 8 hours of sewing. It makes a huge difference in your stitch quality.
                          Good luck with your practice, practice, practice, It is worth all the effort.
                          Nancy

Comment

Sometimes too much stabilizer or too thick stabilizer may be the culprit. Changing to a different needle would definitely help with the stabilizer. I normally take a scrap of the applique that has the stabilizer on it and use my "practice" fabric to test everything out before I actually sew. My practice fabric is also used to try different stitches and to try FMQ on.
                            Susan

Comment

Working...
                            X