Wavy edges on table runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wavy edges on table runner

Ok, so I made my first quilted table runner - it's a gallery of imperfections (don't send the quilt police, please), but I learned a lot of "what not to do" things on it - like that good quality fabric is really important (the white I had at home and used is way too thin) or that I REALLY NEED a binding tool...

There is one more thing that's bugging me and don't know how to avoid it in future - the edges are kind of wavy - don't lay flat on the table? is that normal? if not, what can I do to have nice straight flat edges? 1st table runner.jpg

Re: Wavy edges on table runner

This is really cute and you did a great job! We all certainly learn from our projects and I wish some of my earlier works looked as good as this does!

The wavy edges (at least in the diagonal area) is probably from the edges being on the bias. Bias edges stretch really easy and you have to use extreme care with them. There are ways to get those sides actually cut on the straight of the grain, which would take care of part of the problem. I'm sure there are tutorials somewhere on youtube to show you how to avoid bias cuts.

Keep up the good work!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

What Martha says.
      I think you did a great job - it's so pretty too with the fabrics you choose.

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I think your table runner is pretty! Very nice colors, too. The wavyness is hardly noticeable.

Comment

Good job and the colors are wonderful. Just think of this as a learning piece. We all have them and I wish that some of mine looked this good.

When I am going to have bais edges I starch like crazy and that seems to help.

Keep up the good work.
          Hola from sunny Mexico, Cheryl:icon_wave:

Comment

Love your colors!

Comment

This is very cute. Love the colors. Don't even notice the waviness.
              ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I think your runner looks great....the waviness is not really noticeable. Sometimes the quilting pulls the edge up some. I'm dealing with this issue on a quilt I'm binding right now...when I find the solution I'll let everyone know....Barb
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Often I find that I am more critical of my work because I know every little thing that I did incorrectly. Then I find out that most people don"t know or care. Your runner looks great, relax and enjoy the praise.

Comment

Love the table runner, hope my first one comes out that well. We are always our own worst critic I think. Noone else will notice the imperfections, and I've always been told that those are what makes something homemade even more special. I haven't came to the binding part of the tutorials but I've always been told that using fabric cut on the bias was what you needed for the binding. Now I'm hearing about using fabric cut on the straight grain. I'm confused, could someone clear this up for me.
                    Mary
                    A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

Originally posted by Txgrandma View Post
                      Love the table runner, hope my first one comes out that well. We are always our own worst critic I think. Noone else will notice the imperfections, and I've always been told that those are what makes something homemade even more special. I haven't came to the binding part of the tutorials but I've always been told that using fabric cut on the bias was what you needed for the binding. Now I'm hearing about using fabric cut on the straight grain. I'm confused, could someone clear this up for me.
                      There is no need to make a bias binding if you are not binding anything curved. Cutting your binding on the cross grain (the width of the fabric) gives you enough stretch to do your mitered corners and that is all you need. I've only done bias binding one time in my 20 years of quilting, and that was for a double wedding ring table runner with lots of curves.

Hope this helps.
                      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Thanks quilter martha, I have often wondered why some have told me to cut on the bias when it was going on a straight edge. I knew the bias was for stretch. I quess everyone has their own way of doing some things. When I do corners I do a neat 45* fold anyway and cutting on the straight grain will be easier. I may try scalloped edges later but not until I get a little more experience behind me. Plus I'm sure Jenny's tutorial on binding will give me a lot of tips and hints, just haven't had time to watch it yet.
                        Mary
                        A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

I think your runner looks awesome!! I actually like the wavy look, it looks authentically homemade instead of "factory homemade" ya know?
                          ~Mary
                          As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

thanks for the praise and tips ladies!

Comment

In general, binding cut on bias is used for projects with curved edges and binding cut on the straight grain is used for projects without curved edges. I have heard it said, but don't know if it is true, that bias binding hods up to wear and tear longer. Also, if you are using striped fabric and want the stripes to be on a 45 degree angle, which is very attractive, use the bias binding.

Comment

Working...
                              X