LAQ Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAQ Question

Yesterday I was thrilled with my little quilt I had LAQ'd. I decided to trim it up and I found that near the corners my inner borders were distorted to the point I had to trim a little off the outside border to straighten things up. Of course that did nothing to help the distortion of the inner borders, which was straight and square when I took the quilt in. Is this normal for LAQing?? My quilter told me she had no trouble with my quilt at all; all my seams were good and straight, etc.... other than this, and her using thicker batting than I use, I'm pleased with the quilt.

On a brighter note, I used the binding tool at last and I absolutely love it....so simple to use (watch the tutorial first) and the results are wonderful. Every quilter deserves one of these

These are truly the Dog Days of Summer. Take care....Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Re: LAQ Question

Barb, I've had 2 lap quilts LAQ'd and had no problem with distortion. Good thing you caught it before you put the binding on. Don't you just love the binding tool! Next step, upload that picture....hehehe!
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Can't help you with the LAQ distortion--I've never sent a quilt out to be quilted before. But I have used that neat tool for binding a quilt! I can't believe I've been without it all these years! But, I still have to watch the tutorial each time I use it.
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

What exactly does the binding tool help with? I feel as if I don't need one, but then again I just tuck in my ends and sew it up. Maybe I should watch the tutorial.

Hugs,
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Trish, it's a way to finish off your binding so that it is impossible to tell where the binding starts and ends. It makes for finished look to the binding.
          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Actually I caught it after I sewed on the binding. The only thing I can think to do is rip out the binding (mercy!) and sew a basting stitch close to the edge and hopefully ease in the border fullness. Can anyone help me with this....almost feeling frantic. I've NEVER had this happen before! Barb

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Oh, Barb - sure wish I could help you. Any chance you can figure out how to post a picture of it?
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I'll probably have to watch the tutorial each time I use the binding too also....but what awesome results!!!! I should have used it for the flag quilt I made for the 4th but I thought it would be such a big deal I just did my binding my regular way. The binding tool would have been much faster. Finishing the ends has always been the part I dreaded when binding and the solution is so simple....Barb

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Not at this point. DH and I have to leave to take care of some business. Sandy, I spoke with another LAQer today and she said she has neverr had the quilts she works on distort. She also lets her clients supply their own batting, which is another issue with the quilter I used. I like thin batting that allows my quilt to drape. Back to the issue, do you think it would be beneficial if I removed the binding and ran a little basting stitch around the perimeter and then eased in the fullnes before reattaching the binding?? Or do you think I should just finish it up and cut my losses and learn a good lesson? I know this is a question only I can answer - just primarily want to know what you think about the basting and new binding notion. thanks...Barb

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I'm sorry barb.... but I haven't ever had any issues with LAQ's projects..... they always come out straight and true (well as straight and true as they were when I took them in ...lol).
                    I have tried and tried the binding tool and it must be me because I spend so much time trying to make it work. Then I saw that tutorial ..... where you simply over lap the two ends of your binding by the width of the binding (I use 2 1/2" binding) .... and cut .... turn the two pieces and sew a diagonal seam and it just works for me. I wish I could make the binding tool work for me but I gave up since this other method has been easier. Best of luck and yes, please show us your quilt
                    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I will post a pic of my quilt as soon as I have time to take a picture and read through some notes and figure out how to post it. There's not much to see right now except one side of the binding I've stitched down and how it ripples. Barb

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Mia View Post
                        where you simply over lap the two ends of your binding by the width of the binding (I use 2 1/2" binding) .... and cut .... turn the two pieces and sew a diagonal seam and it just works for me.
                        Mia, I saw that tut too and it looks so simple. But since I had already bought the binding tool I use that. But you can do what I did and use the tool as a template to cut pieces for a friendship braid quilt.
                        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I saw that tutorial for the friendship braid... and it really is pretty. I am up to my eyeballs in projects but that one is definitely on my quilter's bucket list When I watch the tutorial for the binding tool it looks so simple..... I'm unsure why my brain can't figure out how to use it properly. So for now.... I just do what's easiest for me lol. Hugs Nancy
                          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                          Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                          (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Barb, I'm headed in to change my signature line . . . that will give you an answer about what to do with your quilt! Hugs!!!!
                            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Most of the abbreviations I can figure out, but there are two that have me stumped LAQ and WOF. I am still learning about quilting so I'm sure there may be more as time goes by. As they say asking questions is the only way to learn, so be prepared for more. LOL
                              Mary
                              A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

Working...
                              X