• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katherine Vickery Ringo
    replied
    Re: I've got a question about sizes

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Hate to disagree with Katie - but the seam on the blocks that Lisa described are NOT on the diagonal. If you are doing HSTs she is correct. But, using Jenny's method of sewing two charm squares (5.5") together, right side to right side, and sewing all around the outside 'circumference' and then cutting an "X" through from corner to corner, you are literally combining two squares into one - therefore by adding 1+1 and subtracting the seam allowance you still have more fabric than the original size . . . so, you are essentially comparing two squares to one square . . . .

I understand, even if I can't explain it. Take two graham cracker halves, cut in four pieces. Lay them out in any quilt fashion. Now lay one half of another graham cracker beside the 'new' square and you will see what I mean . . . .
    Doh! Forgot about that part too. Thanks Sandy!

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

Okay, I knew the pinwheels turned out bigger than the beginning charm square. But you all confused me enough saying 5.5" charm squares that I had to go look at the description on the MSQC webpage.

"Charm Packs
    Charm Packs (or Charm Squares) contain 5" squares of every quilting fabric in a designer's complete line. Combine with charm pack patterns for an easy quilting project. "

Leave a comment:

• plix
    replied

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
    Sandy is correct....Barb
    Well.....yes, Sandy IS correct, but at my house....those graham crackers would disappear....REAL fast

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

Sandy is correct....Barb

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Hate to disagree with Katie - but the seam on the blocks that Lisa described are NOT on the diagonal. If you are doing HSTs she is correct. But, using Jenny's method of sewing two charm squares (5.5") together, right side to right side, and sewing all around the outside 'circumference' and then cutting an "X" through from corner to corner, you are literally combining two squares into one - therefore by adding 1+1 and subtracting the seam allowance you still have more fabric than the original size . . . so, you are essentially comparing two squares to one square . . . .

I understand, even if I can't explain it. Take two graham cracker halves, cut in four pieces. Lay them out in any quilt fashion. Now lay one half of another graham cracker beside the 'new' square and you will see what I mean . . . .

Leave a comment:

• Mia
    replied

I didn't know that either. Thanks Lisa for asking and thank you Katie for answering. I learned something new

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    replied

Thanks Katie for that. I never knew that.

Leave a comment:

• Katherine Vickery Ringo
    replied

The blocks are formed with a seam on the diagonal which is longer than the straight side of the triangle so it makes the block bigger in the end.

Leave a comment:

• Lisaau
    started a topic I've got a question about sizes

I've got a question about sizes

How is it possible ..I'm making pinwheels with jennys easy method of sewing around all 4 sides of 2..... 5'5 charm squares.....Anyhow how is it possible for 2.... 5'5 squares when made into a pinwheel square......for the square size to be bigger than its original 5'5 size.......pinwheels are bigger than what they started out as ...does that make sense..l thought l put a simple charm square in between each pinwheel ...but the pinwheels are bigger than the charm square....I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Lisaau; July 20, 2011, 09:59 AM.
Working...
X