Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Machine Seems To HATE 100% Polyester Thread...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Machine Seems To HATE 100% Polyester Thread...?

I began using polyester thread in my machine today (Brother SQ9000). It worked fine for a little bit and then CLUNK CLUNK JAM. An error message then flashes across the screen telling me the motor has locked up due to thread tangling.

I pop the bobbin lid, and sure enough, wads of thread. o.O I re-thread my machine, as well as replacing the bobbin, start sewing and still... CLUNK CLUNK JAM!

I then test another thread blend on top (smother, less fuzzy looking, and less lenty) but leave the 100% polyester on the bobbin beneath. It works fine again!

I noticed for some reason, the polyester thread doesn't like going under and around as smoothly as other threads. It jams and gets all messy around the dog feed (those moving teeth thingies)

This can't be normal can it!?

Re: My Machine Seems To HATE 100% Polyester Thread...?

Your machine is smart.

Polyester thread has always been a problem with any machine I've used. I pretty much sew with 100% cotton thread unless I am sewing a knit fabric.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

All machines are picky for certain types of threads. You can call the dealer and ask which ones work best in it, especially for free motion quilting or embroidery. Both of my machines LOVE Sulky threads and I use Gutterman for applique. They don't get hung up in the machine at all and no lint!

Try some different threads and see what works for you. Thread is not a place to skimp especially if you want the quilt to last a long time. Get some good quality stuff and you'll be grateful, as will your machine.
      Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
      Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
      Pinterest

Comment

Only cotton thread for my Bernina. If your sewing machine manual doesn't specify which thread they recommend, you will quickly find out. Usually I only buy a spool or two of a thread to try before I invest too much money. That way if the thread doesn't work in your machine, you can use it for your hand sewing (binding, applique, etc.)
        Susan

Comment

If you really want to use this thread, perhaps try using a bobbin washer. It works for me. I would only use polyester thread on stretchy knits, though.

Comment

Thanks for your help ladies! =)

Comment

Working...
            X