Paper Templates--Questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Templates--Questions??

There is a quilt-along that I have seen on many blogs--The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt. I'm not doing the quilt along, but I do want to try it at my own pace. The book has a CD that has all the piecs that you can print on to paper. I've never worked with paper templates. I was wondering can I just tack them down to the fabric with some sort of glue and cut around the template with my rotary cutter? I am clueless on what to do, so I need any help you girls can offer.
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Paper Templates--Questions??

Hi, Lisa!
    I use Heat n Bond Lite. It can be purchased at most quilt shops & craft stores. It's a paper with iron on adhesive. Just draw the template shapes onto the non shiny side and follow the simple cutting instructions with a scissors. I use it often & love the product. I have been debating about getting The Farmers Wife's Sampler Quilt book. I read a sample of the letters on my Kindle. Sounds interesting. Hope I've been of help.

Comment

I just pin the paper in place and then cut away. Usually one pin will do per piece. I've also used waxed paper as templates, but then again you will need to trace the pattern before ironing it down on your fabric (shiny side down). The waxed paper can be used several times before you need a new one. I also have that book but have not tried any of the patterns. Carol's idea of the Heat n Bond sounds good.
      Susan

Comment

Hi Lisa
        I just recently got a super good deal on that book with the CD at my Joanne's - 40 percent off plus 10 per cent extra off at the register. I couldn't believe my luck. I have yet to look at the CD but have enjoyed reading the book so far.

Carol Ann - I've never used the heat n lite bond. I've used other bonds but does this leave a stiff residue or like the name be lite?

Susan
        , I always use my scissors for cutting templates, too
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I use freezer paper and iron it down, then cut around with scissors. I have had some issues with the template pieces not be accurate with this pattern. It seems to take a lot of computer paper to print out one template piece at a time. My cd refused to allow me to put more than one template piece per page. Still working on this quilt. LOVE the finished design......worth the hassle? I think so, but it is frustrating.

Comment

I cut my freezer paper to fit my printer,loaded, then just print it out.. when cutting,make sure to add the 1/4 seam allowance. Sure saved me alot of time in the tracing & cutting phase. And no expensive computer paper use.... just make sure you load the freezer paper so it prints on the UNwaxed side.
            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
            :icon_wave:

Comment

Be sure you are checking for the seam allowance. If it is for paper piecing, then the seam allowances are not there. If they are paper templates, then they should be there.
              Nancy Wilkins
              My Blog
              My Pinterest
              My Etsy Store

Comment

Thanks, Granny Judy....that sounds like a great idea to save on computer paper and have the freezer paper templates ready to go! I think someone on here mentioned something similar a long while back and I forgot all about it. Must try it and then it will stick!

Comment

I have been contemplating doing a few of he blocks or maybe the quilt. Don't think you want to use Heat and Bond or freezer paper, because why would you want to seal down the fabric and the CD prints out only one template per sheet and could be a triangle only as big as 1 inch. I've seen and read a little on a program for the EQ 5 or 6 where it might make it easier to download a block. But I think you need to be good at computers to load it and intergrate it into your EQ program. Just this last half hour, I've re-drawn the first 6 block into my EQ7 program and saved it for later use. A local quilt store that is doing the quilt said for some of the blocks they have a cheater sheet that they have deviced (especially for the easier blocks). I'm thinking of starting to go, but it won't be till the first of September that I can make it. Sounds like an interest quilt to do. Guess just have to start it. Robert, in northern Iowa.

Comment

After doing some more research, I am going to copy the templates and glue them to cardboard, then cut out. There are some acrylic templats that Marti Michell sells that will work with most of the blocks, but for now I'm going to try the paper templates. There is a lady who has put the templates on a PDF with a group on each page instead of one. I'm really excited about this quilt, I am going to do it in bright colors and take my time--I figure it will be a year long process.
                    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Lisa---can you give me the link to the lady that has put the templates on PDF with a group to a page? That would be a better way to download the templates!

Comment

Working...
                      X