Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When stenciling Pounce or Pen?

Hi there Ladies!
    I was wondering if when you use stencils for your quilting design do you write in the design with a pen or do you use the pounce or some other chalk marking material?

I do the stippling pretty good now but want to make prettier designs in my quilting and am in a quandry because I dont know the best way to mark my quilt. Anyone tried the new Frixion pens that MSQC is offering? I am interested in using that if I decide to use a marking pen with stencils. Thank you for any input!
    Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Re: When stenciling Pounce or Pen?

I bought a set of three pens at Staples, a set in red, blue and black and the things I have marked disappeared with the iron like magic. I have not tried putting them in the washer yet or the freezer.)

Comment

Personally I avoid the 'disappearing' pens, they don't really ever disappear, the chemical stays in your quilt for ever, you just don't see it, except for when you are unlucky enough to have it mysteriously reappear and spoil your quilt.

If you want to use a pounce try giving your quilt a light spray of water with a misting bottle first, it helps the chalk stay in place longer. You still should only mark the area you are working on and then mark the next area as you need.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

One of our forum members, Katherine, started a discussion on the Frixion pens a few weeks ago and did a demo video on them.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...t=frixion+pens
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

That is a wonderful idea Lynn, I will trying misting first the next time I use my pounch chalk, thanks!

Comment

I don't use the pens despite glowing recommendations and have also heard that they sometimes reappear. I just got a pounce and have not tried it yet but will definitely keep the misting in mind. Thanks for the tip!
            Susan

Comment

Oh thank you all so much, I really appreciate the info especially about the misting. That is very clever! Also, thank you for the frixion pen link Karen its really helpful
              Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I bought the pens last weekend and was very disappointed in them. They seem to disappear on light fabric OK (it still remains to be seen if they reappear), but on dark fabric it leaves an opaque line. I will NEVER use them on dark fabric and possibly never at all. On the bright side, my daughter had a great time writing a letter to a friend and them ironing it clear! Her friend has to put the letter in the freezer to be able to read!
                When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Originally posted by quilter.martha View Post
                  On the bright side, my daughter had a great time writing a letter to a friend and them ironing it clear! Her friend has to put the letter in the freezer to be able to read!
                  From my perspective that is the best thing you could do with them, no nasty chemical in my quilts thanks. Of course this is just my opinion, I'm sure they are ideal for some.
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Working...
                  X