Quilt repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilt repair

Please help. Im stationed in Germany and the jelly roll quilt I made for my husband is falling apart. I washed it once on gentle cycle and the sections where I didn't stitch in the ditch is coming apart. Im still learning how to quilt.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3511.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1652336Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3512.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1652337

Re: Quilt repair

I would either hand sew that section together or sew by machine. To sew it together by machine I would lay one section flat, then take the next section and turn under the 1/4 inch seam allowance , pining heavily. then sew in maybe an 1/8th if that so you could get all the material sewn together and go right through the batting. If this is the only spot it might not have been a lack of quilting in that area as maybe not having your fabric match up and keeping a 1/4 in seam allowance. Sometimes if you get your seam too close to the edge of the fabric it becomes a weak point and will tear out like that.

Comment

thank you. Ill try that. There are a few places that I hand stitched, but I tired to get the biggest line in there. I think now that you mentioned it, I was less than a quarter inch seam allowance.

Comment

It looks like it is raveled pretty bad. I would guess that the seam on one of the fabrics may not have been 1/4", which would cause this problem. I think if you follow the directions already given, it will be of great help. I'm only guessing that is what happened, because the same thing happened to me! Luckily I caught it during the quilting process and was able to still fix it.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Would you all recommend sewing all the seams thats i didn't stitch in the ditch to possibly prevent this from happening to the other rows?

Comment

Originally posted by K9mama View Post
            Would you all recommend sewing all the seams thats i didn't stitch in the ditch to possibly prevent this from happening to the other rows?
            yes and no.... even if you stitch in the ditch if it is going to fray due to a slimmer seam allowance I don't think it makes a difference if you stitch in ditch or not, it is going to pull apart. stitching in ditch would allow it to maybe take more tugging and not fray though....

Comment

Working...
            X