What is your go-to binding method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your go-to binding method?

I cut 2 1/2 inch strips. Fold in half and sew to the back. Machine stitch on the front with a decorative stitch. And occasionally the 2 colored flange looking binding. There's a name for it, but I can't think of it off hand.

It's called Susie's magic binding 52 Quilts in 52 Weeks: Tuesday Tutorial: Susie's Magic Binding
    Last edited by Vickie1965; August 22nd, 2014, 08:27 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

My standard is cut 2.25
      fold in half
      machine sew to front
      machine sew to back

I don't like having the small lip that results on the front. So I sew the front first and then have a coordinating seam along the binding. It looks pretty good
      "Only God is perfect, my quilts don't have to be!":icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I hand stitch most of mine the same way others have said. It seems to be more work for me to machine sew them down and look good than it is to sew by hand. I like the look of both tho.
        Dena :icon_hi:

Comment

Originally posted by Liberty View Post
          My standard is cut 2.25
          fold in half
          machine sew to front
          machine sew to back

I don't like having the small lip that results on the front. So I sew the front first and then have a coordinating seam along the binding. It looks pretty good

I do mine just like Liberty. Hand sewing does look very nice but I won't even sew a button on by hand anymore. If I can't do it by machine, it doesn't get done!
          Babylock Lover: Unity, Symphony, Serenade, Imagine Wave, Coverstitch, Emore and Embellisher. Juki 2010Q and Grace GMQ Pro

Comment

I have saved a few binding samples as I have "honed" my skills. I saved them mostly for reference when I was trying things people talked about.
            image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
            The first and third samples are examples of SITD after machine applying the first seam on the front side of a quilt. You get a different look depending on if you match the binding color, or quilt color. The stitch will show on the binding on one side and ever so slightly on the other. The only issue I have run into is keeping the binding equally folded to the back. I wish that there was a SITD walking foot!.
            The second example is machine applied prairie points! I apply these to the front side of the quilt under a narrow binding. When I flip them out, I fold the binding onto the back and then hand stitch in place. I believe I machine stitched the back in place on a baby quilt as well. I just made sure my stitching matched my quilting thread on the front so it didn't distract. (See my oz quilt as an example in my photo album).

Comment

Machine sew to the front, hand sew to the back. I cut my strips narrower, though: from 2" to 2 1/4" depending on the thickness of the batting.

Comment

Working...
              X