Spray Basting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray Basting

I am fairly new at quilting and recently saw a video on youtube about spray basting. I had never heard of it before. Does anyone have any comments (pros or cons) about spray basting. I hand quilt and wondered if it would make it difficult to push the needle through the fabric?
    Bec

Re: Spray Basting

I pretty new also and have made 2 quilts using safety pins to baste and am currently working on one that I have used the spray basting. I like the spray better than the pins. Pins tended to get in my way and I would invariably miss several as I quilted along. With the spray I use (not sure of brand but got it at Joann's) it is light weight, holds really well but does not make it any harded to push the needle through. Hope that helps.
    LESLY

:icon_wave:

Every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent success.
    Napoleon Hill

Comment

Hi Bec. I have only been quilting about six months, and I've used the basting spray on every quilt I've made. I spent time pinning the first one, then took them all out when I saw a tutorial on the basting spray. It's great.... no worry about things shifting during quilting. There aren't any problems with hand or machine stitching. Best of luck....
      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
      Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
      (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have tried quilting pins and safety pins and I always have trouble with shifting. I'm excited about trying the spray basting since it can be used with hand quilting.
        Bec

Comment

I've just recently tried spray basting. I stared on very small projects and found it worked really well. Those I machine quilted. Now I am working on a nice sized table runner and am hand quilting it. I spray basted it and the quilting is going very well. No sticky residue on the needle or thread. What I did have trouble with was getting the whole thing smoothed out. I don't have a basting wall, so I did it on the floor. Thankfully my daughter was around to help out. I didn't think until I was finished that I should have taped the backing to the floor. I think that would have helped a lot! We definitely learn from trial and error.
          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I have used the basting spray a couple of times myself. The first was on a queen sized quilt and yah I did have trouble getting it all smoothed out. Yesterday I used it on a small project and machine quilted it much better.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I used the spray basting on a queen sized quilt. It was my first quilt. I thought it worked very well. I have also used the fusible batting, this is really a super product, but it is very expensive. I got a great result with both, but probably won't use the fusible again because of the cost. It's not so much, though for small projects when the product is on sale.
              Donna

Comment

My only issue with spray basting is the needle can get gummed up after quilting for a while. I'm sure that would get annoying while hand quilting. I think it works well for small projects but for larger ones I'd pin or hand baste.
                Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                Pinterest

Comment

hi! i just posted some photos using spray basting. I love it! The first time i did it on the wall and that was a challenge. this time i used 2 banquet tables (plastic folding ones) set up in my garage and it worked like a charm!

Comment

I have spray basted several quilts. One, a sampler quilt I spray based, folded it and forgot it. I wnt to it almost a year later and it was still fine.

Did not have any trouble hand or machine quilting after using it.

I like it better than pinning, I find that the fabric moves no matter how firmly you pin, and the pins are always in the way of the hoop when hand quilting.
                    ================================================== ==============

Comment

I agree about the pins. I just got through basting all the border of a quilt because the backing kept scooching as I hand quilted. I'm going to try the spray baste next time. Thanks to everyone for their input.
                      Bec

Comment

Working...
                      X