Question about making pillowcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about making pillowcase

I watched Jenny's tutorial on making a pillowcase and noticed that she used material straight from the bolt. I was always taught to wash, dry, and press material first before sewing, so my question is......if you don't, isn't there a possibility that the material may shrink slightly after the first wash and the seams may pucker a bit?
    I hope this isn't a stupid question, but being in the beginning stages of sewing I want to make sure I'm off to a good start!
    Thanks!

Re: Question about making pillowcase

Hi Denise, and welcome to the fourm! You've asked a very good question. Opinions will vary about whether or not to pre-wash your fabrics. I am of the pre-wash club. I've sewn all my life and if you want your garment to fit after the first use, you'd better make sure you preshrunk that fabric! So I have carried that into my quilting as well. Whenever possible, I pre-wash to get any shrinkage out of the way. But others perfer to do it after the quilt or project is finished. With today's better fabrics from your local quilt shop there is normally very little shrinkage. If you are using precuts, it is best NOT to pre wash since the cuts will unravel too much to be of much use afterwards.

There is also the issue of colors running and hopefully someone else will get into how they prevent that. They use something I've never used, so I'll leave that to them!

Once again, welcome, and keep asking questions!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I don't prewash, never had any issues. Definately don't wash any precuts.

If you read the end of the fabric bolts, many say preshrunk, wash in warm/cool water. If you wash the fabric in HOT, as some do, well yes you will get some shrinking.

As quiller.martha mentioned, prewashing was the norm when garment sewing-at least when i learned many years ago. Honestly, I stopped doing that many years ago. when blends came out it really wasn't as necessary.

But again, you will get as many answers/reasons as there are people on this board. Helpful, aren't we? LOL
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding so quickly to my question!
        After talking to my mother as well (she's an excellent seamstress), I will continue with the pre-washing. Not just for shrinkage, but to get rid of the chemicals used to treat the fabric with, dust from sitting on shelving, and just from people handing it. My pillowcases came out great but a couple of things she pointed out to me---never cut your selvage edge off, and for items such as clothing and pillowcases she says to use a 5/8" seam instead of a 1/4".
        I'm so glad I found this forum and appreciate your kindness.

Comment

Denise, why does your mother say not to cut the selvage off? I am new, too, and never heard that. In fact a clerk at the LQS said not to sew through this. Oh well, as so many have said before, there is no quilt police so what works for one, may not be that important to another!!!

Comment

I pre-wash to get rid of the chemicals and the smells. I leave the selvage on the yardage until I am ready to use the piece or strip then cut it off. I also leave the bit that tells the manufacturer and pattern with the piece until I've used it up. Just in case I need to find it again. I run the raw edges of the fabric through the serger or a narrow zig-zag before washing to keep it form unravelling.
            I think the deeper seam allowance gives the seam more resistance to pulling out.
            I always pre-wash & dry my flannel, never the pre-cuts. If I know I'll be using a fabric with the pre-cuts I'll avoid pre-washing it.
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Meemeecyn.....She said not to cut off the selvage edge because it's a true straight line to follow and that's just the way she was taught. She's not a quilter, but sews everything else so I definitely value her advice.
              Toggpine.....I never thought about running a zig zag along the raw edges before washing. Makes good sense and would have saved me a lot of grief when I was making my first pillowcase because that fabric sure did unravel!

Comment

Working...
              X