Scant 1/4 or 1/4 inch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scant 1/4 or 1/4 inch.

Could someone explain me the difference between 1/4 scant and 1/4 inch. I don't have so much experience and I don't understand. Thank you
    Carmen

Re: Scant 1/4 or 1/4 inch.

A scant is juuuust under 1/4" - a smaller bite from your seam allowance. So if you are sewing with a 1/4" foot; you would actually slide your fabric over to the left just a hair so it's not a full 1/4".

Comment

A regular 1/4 inch measures a full 1/4 inch. A scant 1/4 is just slightly narrower, maybe 2 threads less. Some quilt blocks call for using a scant quarter inch and when they do, it's important to use slightly smaller seams.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Perhaps it would help if you understood the necessity for a scant 1/4 inch seam. After the seam is sewn it is then pressed. No matter whether the seam is pressed open or to the side your measurement will be reduced by a few threads as it bends around the sewn thread. If you are doing really big blocks with very few seams you can use an exact 1/4 inch seam and just stretch things a little. If you are doing blocks with lots of seams those couple of threads off per seam will really add up.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

If you place the fabric such that you can just see the 1/4" mark peaking from under your fabric on your sewing machine, you should get a scant 1/4" seam.
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
            Perhaps it would help if you understood the necessity for a scant 1/4 inch seam. After the seam is sewn it is then pressed. No matter whether the seam is pressed open or to the side your measurement will be reduced by a few threads as it bends around the sewn thread. If you are doing really big blocks with very few seams you can use an exact 1/4 inch seam and just stretch things a little. If you are doing blocks with lots of seams those couple of threads off per seam will really add up.
            Thank you for this explanation! I never knew this but it makes total sense. Light bulb moment!
            Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Comment

When a pattern calls for a scant 1/4" I move my needle to the right by one click. I usually use a scant 1/4". I changed my default needle setting to 4.5 if that helps you at all.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

For most blocks with rectangular or square pieces, it generally doesn't matter as long as the seam allowance is consistent across all seams and blocks. When the block includes triangles, a scant 1/4" can make the difference between the triangle point not being cut off for being cut off.
                Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

Some quilt blocks will not come out to the correct size if the scant 1/4" is not used. E.g. instead of a resulting 12.5" square, they might be smaller by 1/8" to even 1/4". I had to be very careful when I was working on a log cabin block. I also use a scant 1/4" when making the HSTs & pinwheels. It's easy to come up short if you're not careful. That's why I allow 5/8" instead of 1/2" extra to give me some "wiggle " room when trimming/squaring. In my first quilting class, the instructor had us practice sewing the scant 1/4" till we felt comfortable with it. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
                    If you place the fabric such that you can just see the 1/4" mark peaking from under your fabric on your sewing machine, you should get a scant 1/4" seam.
                    that's how I do it! I actually put bright green tape on the 1/4" line.
                    "Only God is perfect, my quilts don't have to be!"

Comment

Working...
                    X