Photographing Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photographing Quilts

Anybody have any tips on how to take a good picture of our quilts? I have a decent camera and try to do it outside on a sunny day but my pictures still come out pretty crappy and definately don't do the quilts justice....they really do look better than the pictures show.
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Re: Photographing Quilts

I don't do pictures of paintings and crafts in strong sunlight if it can be avoided, - diffused daylight works better.

Sunlight is great for many things but often creates problems with too much brightness, cast shadows, reflected light and glare.

So leave the strong midday sun to mad dogs and Englishmen!
    IF you have the choice, that is! LOL

Do you have a tripod?

Hugs from me
    Fabric purchases require no justification!
    A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Hi Nancy, this may be a little more advanced than you are looking for but there are some general good tips in this page that you can adapt to the home situation. I have also added a link to another page that you may find interesting, it shows the things that can go wrong with photographs and talks about why it happens. Have a look around the other pages on that second link as well, there is also a page on setup and lighting and another about cameras, it's a good site.

http://www.factsfacts.com/quilts/Photographing_Quilts/

http://www.hollyknott.com/stq/wrongs.htm
      Last edited by Dragonfly; July 10, 2011, 06:27 PM.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thanks ladies!!!
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I suck at it too so no comment from me!
          Patti
          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Short answer, shoot in the shade, not bright sunshine.
            LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Photographs of anything outdoors are best in the early morning or evening just before sunset...

Comment

Working...
              X