WOF or lengthwise borders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOF or lengthwise borders?

Can borders be cut from the lengthwise grain? This is my first bed sized quilt so I have never run into this question before. I can do a WOF border but would have to piece the borders. One lengthwise cut seems simpler but I want to do it correctly.

Re: WOF or lengthwise borders?

i do when i have enough to do it. I rarely buy length just for that purpose though.
    when I piece WOF borders I use a diagonal seam so it's not as noticable.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
      i do when i have enough to do it. I rarely buy length just for that purpose though.
      when I piece WOF borders I use a diagonal seam so it's not as noticable.
      I do the same thing! For some reason diagonal seams just don't seem to show up as much as a straight seam. If I could afford the fabric length to do length of fabric for borders it would be great, but it gets kind of pricy when you need a couple of yards of length for a large quilt.
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Borders can certainly be cut from the length of your fabric. I prefer not to piece my borders. This also depends on the print of the fabric - sometimes you just have to cut it crosswise to make the print look right. When I piece borders I join them with a 45 degree (diagonal) seam. This makes the joining seam less noticeable. It is perfectly acceptable for your borders to be pieced. Normally when a pattern includes cutting the borders, it is for crosswise cuts. If you plan to do lengthwise borders you will need to purchase extra fabric. Hope this helps.....Barb
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
        X