X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alicaz
    replied
    Re: Help with quilt colors..

thanks for the suggestions ladies - I'm not throwing out the new fabric yet... you are right, it might work - I'll also look for some fabric from the same line - I have only half of the blocks done + I have 3 other projects in progress, so I'm not in a big hurry

Leave a comment:

• scrappycats
    replied

You might be able to brighten the quilt up with borders and cornerstones. Sometimes it is easy to get the wrong impression from a quilt when it is not completed yet. You would be amazed at how a dark little inner border will make the most blah quilt pop.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingtrish
    replied

Same fabric line? You got me chuckling. Half the time I don't even know what fabric line I am working with. I think it's a great idea to put those 2 aquas up against what you have finished and stand back to see if they will work. It really doesn't have to be exactly matchy-matchy to make it work. The colors you are working with sounds like a very pretty quilt. Can't wait to see it.

Hugs,

Leave a comment:

• Susan M
    replied

I always add to my jelly rolls! [no jokes...pppplease] Either find something that matches or find more of the fabric thats contained in the jelly roll. If the aqua is what you are looking at, I am sure you can google the fabric and find yardage available. Good luck and bring the fabric swatches with you when shopping.

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

would it work if you seperated the "new" aqua from the rest of the quilt with a border of brown? It might look good with some distance from the color you wanted to match. I've been able to use slightly off fabric that way.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

That sounds like something I would do. So sorry.

Leave a comment:

• alicaz
    replied

well guess what - I took a scrap of fabric to the store, compared it with the store fabric, was pretty happy that I found a very close match, but when I got home I found out it's not such a good match
    Either the light in the store wasn't the best or I'm going blind, but when I compared it with a bigger piece of aqua I have at home I found out mine is more greenish, the one I bought is more blue-ish

Leave a comment:

• Mimis-quilts
    replied

If you are going to the fabric store be sure to take scraps of your fabric to try to match it.

Leave a comment:

• dmt148
    replied

Google it! Name of jelly roll yardage. I have had no trouble ordering on line. Check ebay and etsy too.

Leave a comment:

• alicaz
    replied

I can try - I was planning a trip to a fabric store anyway, I'll look for something that would work - thanks for the suggestion!

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

Can you find yardage of the aqua? Then add a dark brown border, it may make the lighter colors stand out.

Leave a comment:

• alicaz
    started a topic Help with quilt colors..

Help with quilt colors..

I just started my first quilt - I picked a jelly roll where the main colors are brown, beige, light sage and light aqua. I really like the colors, thought they would make a nice soothing quilt, but now when I have a couple blocks done I'm starting to worry if it's not going to be to blaah.... I'm doing the stars from Jenny's Quilting Quickly course (1 strip from jelly roll= 1 star) and the stars are supposed to be on brown background.
    I thought the aqua strips would add a little punch, but there is not enough of them... How can I add more color? I don't want to just add some random, non-matching color when all the stars are from the same fabric line..
Working...
X