Help with quilt colors..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with quilt colors..

I just started my first quilt - I picked a jelly roll where the main colors are brown, beige, light sage and light aqua. I really like the colors, thought they would make a nice soothing quilt, but now when I have a couple blocks done I'm starting to worry if it's not going to be to blaah.... I'm doing the stars from Jenny's Quilting Quickly course (1 strip from jelly roll= 1 star) and the stars are supposed to be on brown background.
    I thought the aqua strips would add a little punch, but there is not enough of them... How can I add more color? I don't want to just add some random, non-matching color when all the stars are from the same fabric line..

Re: Help with quilt colors..

Can you find yardage of the aqua? Then add a dark brown border, it may make the lighter colors stand out.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I can try - I was planning a trip to a fabric store anyway, I'll look for something that would work - thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Google it! Name of jelly roll yardage. I have had no trouble ordering on line. Check ebay and etsy too.

Comment

If you are going to the fabric store be sure to take scraps of your fabric to try to match it.
          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

well guess what - I took a scrap of fabric to the store, compared it with the store fabric, was pretty happy that I found a very close match, but when I got home I found out it's not such a good match
            Either the light in the store wasn't the best or I'm going blind, but when I compared it with a bigger piece of aqua I have at home I found out mine is more greenish, the one I bought is more blue-ish

Comment

That sounds like something I would do. So sorry.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

would it work if you seperated the "new" aqua from the rest of the quilt with a border of brown? It might look good with some distance from the color you wanted to match. I've been able to use slightly off fabric that way.
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I always add to my jelly rolls! [no jokes...pppplease] Either find something that matches or find more of the fabric thats contained in the jelly roll. If the aqua is what you are looking at, I am sure you can google the fabric and find yardage available. Good luck and bring the fabric swatches with you when shopping.
                  Susan

Comment

Same fabric line? You got me chuckling. Half the time I don't even know what fabric line I am working with. I think it's a great idea to put those 2 aquas up against what you have finished and stand back to see if they will work. It really doesn't have to be exactly matchy-matchy to make it work. The colors you are working with sounds like a very pretty quilt. Can't wait to see it.

Hugs,
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

You might be able to brighten the quilt up with borders and cornerstones. Sometimes it is easy to get the wrong impression from a quilt when it is not completed yet. You would be amazed at how a dark little inner border will make the most blah quilt pop.
                      Nancy Wilkins
                      My Blog
                      My Pinterest
                      My Etsy Store

Comment

thanks for the suggestions ladies - I'm not throwing out the new fabric yet... you are right, it might work - I'll also look for some fabric from the same line - I have only half of the blocks done + I have 3 other projects in progress, so I'm not in a big hurry

Comment

Working...
                        X