How to Quilt My Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Quilt My Top

Hello all. I'm about to finish piecing my string quilt top and am wondering the best way to quilt it. This is my first quilt. My blocks are 6.5" and each one has 13 strips. If I stitch along every seam line in the quilt will it end up too stiff? Should I stitch every other one? I don't want a loose quilt, I want it to be cuddly but not too crumply, if that makes any sense. I also want to try FMQ but am a little scared and have no idea what style would best compliment the pattern with my limited skills.

Thanks for any tips!!

Hilary

Re: How to Quilt My Top

Hilary...You could stitch every other row on a few blocks and see if the "feel" is what you want. If it's too loose you could then go back and quilt the rows you left unquilted. It's easier to add quilting than to take it out! Good luck....Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Re: How to Quilt My Top

Hilary--cudos to you for wanting to try FMQ on your first quilt! I just started branching out with FMQ and I've been quilting for over 20 years! FMQ isn't really hard, but it does require a lot of practice. How big is your quilt? If it is lap size on up, I would suggest you save FMQ for a smaller project, at least to start, because moving all the bulk around can get frustrating. It is better to learn on something small.

I don't exactly know your block pattern, but I'm assuming it is stripes 1/2" in width? Stitch in the ditch in each seam would be a lot of work and could make the quilt stiff. I'd do every other row. But here is another idea: stitch the blocks in a diagonal pattern across the stripes. This would give it a nice top stitch effect.

Good luck, and post a pic when you're finished!
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
      X