Border for my quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border for my quilt

Hi, everyone. I hope someone can help me make a decision. I just finished a quilt top for a quilt I'm making for my twin sister who's getting ready to start chemo for breast cancer . I have a jelly roll of Moda white that I used for the borders between the blocks on the quilt and was wondering if it's okay to sew the jelly roll strips together for the borders. It's no problem to get the fabric cut from the bolt, but this sounds like an easier and quicker way to get the quilt done, plus the fact I'll use up my jelly roll and it won't be wasted.

I haven't been able to find anything on the web about doing this, and that makes me think it just isn't done. I'm a new quilter, so I've never tried it before - I've always cut my fabric for the borders from the bolt.

Is this a tacky approach? Will it look awful if I do it this way? I plan to quilt it myself by either doing straight lines or stitching in the ditch. Any help any of you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Border for my quilt

I've done this and it worked out great - the 2 1/2 inch width is perfect - I viewed Jennie's tutorial on binding and this made it easier to do. Prayers are going to you and your dear sister - The quilt is such a special gift that you are giving her.

Comment

One thing a new quilter should learn: There are NO quilting police.

I am with EsGrandma - go for it. I'm also sending prayers.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I have also used the 2 1/2 border in a similiar quilt This gives you the option to use up the extra material on the binding.
        My prayers are with your sister.
        Learn To Make Quilt Binding
        Unique Baby Quilt Boutique

Comment

Nothing wrong with piecing your border...done that before too. So sorry for your sister...and you! Stay strong for her because she has a long road ahead of her and will need family support.
          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

It will be a beautiful border. The only advice I have is to watch the tutoral on binding your quilt at MQC. They are the best and have helped me so much. You have my prayers dahling. I lost my daughter two years ago due to a Drs error. The quilt I started for her I am just getting back to it. I know with the Lords hands up on her she will pull thru this. Our prayers.

Comment

You can do whatever you like and anything made with love isn't tacky...my best to both you and your sister....

Comment

When I have the yardage, I cut the border & lattice fabric. This way I don't have seams to deal with. If you are using the 2.5" strips for the binding, the jelly rolls are perfect. It is up to you to decide which you'd like to use.
                Your sister is in my daily prayers. So much is being done today to combat cancer. God bless you both.

Comment

I piece all my borders and you can't really tell once it's quilted. Remember quilts were originally made from scraps of fabric all sewn together with love. There is no right or wrong way to make a quilt and using your left-over jelly roll strips is a fantastic idea.

I'd use it for the border rather than the binding. I tend to use darker or patterned fabrics for the binding because that's the area that gets the most use and it could get grubby if it's in white. Good luck to you and your sister x x x
                  Quilting through the dull times
                  northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I use jelly rolls all the time for my borders, and I am a pretty new quilter.

I am a twin too and we have both had breast cancer (me - a 17 year survivor and she - a 9 year survivor). I know what you are going through, the heartache, the worry, the emotional ups and downs. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister. I know she will cherish this quilt. I am working on a quilt for my sis too, just need to quilt it
                    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Oh, my goodness. I cannot believe the kind words I've received from you dear, sweet ladies. There's no way I can thank you enough, either. I'll try, though - your words of prayers and inspiration mean the world to me. This is a very difficult time for my sister, even though her prognosis looks fairly good. It's just going through the treatments and all the worry that's getting her down. She's strong, though, and together, we'll get through this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your wonderful, loving words. I appreciate it more than you'll ever know.

About the border - I found enough Moda white in my stash bins to make the borders without piecing, so I'm going to use that. The two side borders have to have a seam, but I'm going to embroider two segments to go between the pieces to make it look a little nicer. One segment will have her monogram, the other will have the words love, heal, faith.

Again, thank you so much for all your help and for your heartfelt words of encouragment. xoxoxo

Comment

Best wishes and prayers for your sister.Your quilt will be a hug from you everytime she sees it..
                        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I would definitely use the jelly roll. Remember that it is your quilt and you can put it together any way you'd like! My prayers go out to your sister. The quilt will help her know that she is loved.
                          Susan

Comment

Working...
                          X