Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing fabric types

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to quilting and wondered if it's ok to put a flannel back on a quilt i'm making for my grandaughter. The top is regular regular 100% cotton quilting fabric, but I was thinking that the soft flannel might be a nice backing for her.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks for your help.
    Winnie

Re: Mixing fabric types

Hi there Winnie and welcome.
    So glad you joined us.
    There are so many quilters here with much more experience than I; but I'll tell you from my experience ... a flannel backing works just fine with a cotton quilt top. I have made receiving blankets that are cotton tops and flannel backs and they turned out very pretty. I'm sure some of the other ladies will share their thoughts too. Have a great evening.....
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Absolutely!! Flannel backing is wonderful no matter what typle top you have!!

We love pictures...so post away!!
      ~Mary
      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

i love flannel for the back of a baby quilt.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

PREWASH AND DRY the flannel before using it for a back of any quilt! Flannel shrinks in every direction!

It makes a lovely backing as well as a nice batting between two cotton layers. Perfect for a baby/toddler quilt.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Welcome from Vermont. I'm new too so I won't offer any advice except....Enjoy the Addiction!
            ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I'm with togpine. Flannel can shrink quite a bit more than the standard cottons so I would make sure to prewash it before using it. It will make a particularly snuggly quilt. Good luck x
              Quilting through the dull times
              northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Flannel is a great backing! Wash well and make sure to use a NEW needle when you quilt it as flannel can dull a needle quickly.
                Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                Pinterest

Comment

Absolutely...go for the flannel. You should wash, machine dry and press the flannel before using it for your backing. Flannel can be unpredictable in shrinkage and it's better to find out before you include it in a quilt. Flannel would make a wonderful backing...Enjoy
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've made several quilts for the grandkids that have flannel on the back. I only wash the quilts in cold water and low heat for drying. That keeps the shrinking down to a minimum. My daughter washes the quilts in the same manner so we haven't had any problems.
                    Susan

Comment

I agree with the others who mentioned pre-washing. I just used flannel as a backing for the first time last week and the quilting turned out beautiful on the flannel. I just did straight line quilting but it really looked smooth and lovely on the backing. I plan to use flannel more often now!
                      Share a pic when you are done, we'd all love to see it!
                      Attached Files
                      Patti
                      "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I always back children's quilts with flannel. It's warmer, softer & doesn't slip off the bed when kids roll over in their sleep.

Comment

Working...
                        X