Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread

I'm told I should be using 100% cotton thread for piecing; and not to use "quilting" thread because the waxy coating mucks up your sewing machine. Is that all true? If so, where can I get the large cones of cotton thread for piecing at a reasonable price? Brand recommendations?
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Re: Thread

Nancy that is absolutely correct, keep that waxed quilting thread right away from your machine, it clogs everything up and will cost you in either not sewing nicely or in service costs.

My very serious recommendation in thread would be Aurifil (Mako NE 50), it comes on a 1300 metre spool (1421 yd) and is the most magnificent thread to work with. There are other perfectly good 100% cotton threads as well, I use a lot of Gutermann. Buy the best you can afford, it's pointless spending a lot of money on the fabric and then scrimping on the thread when that is what holds it all together. Apart from that the good quality thread sews so much nicer and will give you far less problems.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

They also sell cotton thread at MSQC....

Alana
      Alana
      To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
      alanashideaway.blogspot.com
      https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

I recommend using cotton too (mostly because my machine won't work right with polyester), but would make a distinction in that you shouldn't use "hand quilting" thread. Machine quilting thread it just fine. I typically watch for Joann sales. It seems like they are 50% off quite regularly.
        Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
        Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Hi~~~Check out Connecting threads.com. I use their cotton thread on large spools / cones.

Comment

I've been using 1300m spools of Gutermann thread. It works out much cheaper if you buy the really big spools. I hadn't seen the Aurifil in the large spools but I'm going to look into it because it is a really nice thread to work with.

I always use 100% cotton to piece and quilt although I have many other threads hanging around the house from dressmaking and curtain making so I have to make sure not to grab the wrong one.

It's probably the hand-quilting thread that is clogging up the machine. It's coated to prevent knots when you're hand stitching which causes problems in your machine's guts
            Quilting through the dull times
            northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I love Gutermann
              Patrice

Comment

Try all kinds. It is all personal preference. I don't care for Gutermann's but like Mettler and Aurafil, which is thinner (2 ply). I also use Konfetti by Superior Threads. As for Coats and Clark...I like their cotton 30 wt on large spools and can get that cheap at JoAnn's. I haven't had any problems with it.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Our JoAnn's stores seem to only have "embroidery" thread on the large spools/cones. So, on line I go... thanks again.
                  ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. I think it is personal preference, the type/weight of fabric you're working with, and what works best for your machine. I have sewn all my life and have been quilting for over 20 years. I have always used Coats and Clark general purpose thread for both. I have NEVER had an issue with my thread disintegrating over time. It holds up. I have pieced with it, and quilted with it. What I HAVE had fall apart is fabric! Quality fabric is definitely a must in quilting, especially if that quilt is going to be heavily used (like on a child's bed and they're on it all the time).

Here is a great link about thread if you want to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SF-6kZTX8
                    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I saw someone recomended Connecting Threads....I have boughten quite a bit of their cottong threads and do love them. They have all sizes too. I am going to get the cones of white and nutural. Seems they are the ones I use most.
                      Alana
                      To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
                      alanashideaway.blogspot.com
                      https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

I've used the Superior Thread from Connecting Threads and had no problem with it at all. Gutermann's is terrible in my machine. I like Mettler and Aurafil the best. Shop around for the best deal you can find for the Aurafil. It is definitely worth every penny.
                        Susan

Comment

Working...
                        X