Do you all piece your batting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you all piece your batting?

I have several large pieces of batting, can I piece them together? I really don't want to go and buy some if I can do this, plus it will save a lot of money. If you do, how do you do it?
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Do you all piece your batting?

I hand zigzag mine together but don't know if it would hold for a large quilt, but have used that method on table runners or something small like that. There is a new product out - not sure what it's called - and I think MSQC sells it - something that bonds the two pieces of batting together somehow. Maybe its in their misc. section. I haven't tried that. I'm sure others have put their pieces together so I'm sure you'll hear from them.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Why not use those odd chunks of batting, especially when it costs so much! I piece batting together when the need arises. I usually zig zag it together with my machine. As long as you're going to do some quilting, either by hand or machine, it should hold together just fine. Trish is right about the binding tape, don't know it's name either, but I saw it on you-tube, I think either by Eleanor Burns or Nancy Zieman (not sure if that's the right last name for Nancy).
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I seen somewhere that you can cut and remove batting from the quilt when quilting on a machine. I gives you more room to move your quilt thru your machine. So I do not see anything wrong with zig zagging two pieces of batting together to make use of two smaller pieces. I really think that is what quilting is all about. Using what you have!
        JVO

Comment

I do it all the time. I do a zig zag and holds up great
          Patrice

Comment

A quilter once told me it's okay to zig zag them together. Just butt the to pieces together and zigzag from one piece to the other; rather than your typical seam.
            ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Like the others, I zigzag pieces together. If needed i will use a rotary cutter to straighten the edges before butting them up to each other. small trimmings go into a bag for purses or other small projects.
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Great--saved me a trip to the fabric store.
                Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

You can buy some fusible batting tape that will do the same as sewing the peices together. Fast and easy.

Comment

Lisa, I'm so glad you asked this question - I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to!
                    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

So am I it will save a lot of money.

Comment

I definitely piece my batting together. I have hand pieced and also used a joining foot which makes the larger pieces much easier to handle.
                        Sewing mends the soul.
                        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Hi Lisa
                          I have hand whip stiched pieces together to use in lap & crib size qiults. It works really fine. When you quilt or tie the quilt it holds everything in place. I plan to try the new "adhesive" out soon. If you're like me you can't waste anything!!!!! ISN'T THAT WHAT QUILTING IS ALL ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Piecing scraps of "trash" back into a useful beauty!!!
                          Have fun.
                          Hugs
                          Oma

Comment

I pieced the batting together and it worked like a dream. So nice to know I can use all the large scrap pieces now!
                            Lisa

Comment

Just as the others have said....I zig-zag the butted ends together. I used it on a twin size and after it's quilted it ain't gonna move no where....

Alana
                              Alana
                              To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
                              alanashideaway.blogspot.com
                              https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

Working...
                              X