Recycling Crib Sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recycling Crib Sheets

I have a few 100% cotton crib sheets and a dust ruffle that won't be appropriate for a little boy (lavender, pink, & floral). The cotton is as nice as quilting cotton I'd be paying $10/yd for. No stains. Can anybody see a reason to not use them for a summer weight baby blanket. (If summer ever gets here for real that is.)
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Re: Recycling Crib Sheets

I would use them. I think it would be a great way to re-use them.

the visiting nurse gave my mom a lap quilt made from sheets . It is so soft and snuggly.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Sounds like a wonderful idea, Cathy! Would you be putting lightweight batting in it or just the sheets? I think it is a great way of recycling! You go, 'Girl'!

Comment

I would use them in a snap. No problem at all.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Of course, use them! I'm using old scrubs to make lap quilts...remember the 3 R's...reduce, reuse, recycle!
          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

By all means - go for it!! Barb
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks for the back up ladies! I see fabric sources in all sorts of places, especially since I have already bought them! I just have to remember to check fiber content before diving in. I just love the silky soft feeling of cotton linens that have been used a bit.
              As for batting, I think I'll be using a single layer of white or off white flannel. The mini floral print is on a snowy white. The flannel gives it some weight, but doesn't make it too hot for summer. Of course, our summers here in the Northwest US are not nearly as hot as other places. I may have to wait until this winter to buy the flannel on the killer sale they have just before Christmas. It's not like I don't have a jillion and one other things to keep me busy at the machine until then!
              Back to cleaning the house. Off to purge the book shelves of "baby" books.
              Thanks again for helping me hoard more fabric!
              Cathy

Comment

Sounds adorable, useful, and productive. Can't wait to see it.

Comment

yup use them all the time. A great source of "fabric" is thrift shops. Sometimes they get sheets & blankets that are practically new. Also I get a lot of fabric, yarn & crochet threads there. It's like store closing sales EVERY DAY!!!!! The one thrift store here in town had a $5 brown bag sale. Everything with a white take that would fit in a paper sack was $5. The gal that checked me out knew how to pack the bag too. Most of that purchase were XL tee shirts & polo shirts that will be recycled into diapers for an orphanage in Haiti. One of my favorite charities.
                  Hugs
                  Oma

Comment

That is a great use for the T-shirts Oma! Do you use only white or will colors work? Do you use sizes larger than XL?
                    *Eyeballing the stack of husband's T-shirts that have had the necklines worn ragged, but still have good fronts and backs*
                    Sounds like you lucked out on the bag sale! I love it when the clerks are that kind of helpful!
                    I don't usually need help finding MORE fabric sources! These just happened to be available. Well, unless a girlfriend finds out if she is having a baby girl, then they will go to her if she wants them. My son is having a baby boy, so the girly colors won't fly, and we are DONE having children.
                    Glad to see so many people reusing resources!

Comment

Go for it!. I'm all about reusing/repurposing things.
                      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Advertise to find a new home for a used crib in good, safe condition. Place ads in craigslist, in your newspaper, in community locations and on your local freecycle.
                        Find Premium Crib Sheets | Select Customize Baby Sheets

Comment

Reminder about used cribs -- drop-side cribs are now illegal and can't be sold/donated:
                          http://www.huliq.com/10473/drop-side...ng-or-donating
                          Ruth Ann in MA

Comment

I think this is a great idea. It is always good to re-use, I think it makes the project even better. I cut down onld flannel shirts and pj,s to use in my quilts. This way---when I spend money on expensive fabric I don;t feel so bad. You will have to show us a picture of it
                            I am such a material girl!!!!!:icon_wave: Nena

Comment

Working...
                            X