Borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borders

Which goes on first, side borders or top and bottom borders? Or does it really matter? Always confused on this one. Thanks. Linda
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Borders

I usually do sides first, then top and bottom. Don't know why, it just works out that way.

Comment

Same here, sides the top/bottom.
      Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I do whatever the picture shows and the directions say.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I was actually surprised that in some of the patterns in the Block that it lists top and bottom first. I always do sides first. I was taught that it's because the seam draws your eye and it's more pleasing visually to have the longest across the top. I guess if we all did square quilts or metered borders it wouldn't matter! So, whatever works for you is the right way!
          Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

If I want my quilt to look longer I put the top and bottom on first. If I want it to look wider I put the sides on first. If it doesn't matter I put the sides on first.

Comment

Since the sides are usually longer than the top/ bottom, I usually need 2 WOF for each side. I usually need less for the top and bottom. If you did the longer border last you might need to have two seams instead of a single seam to make it long enough. That for me would be a good enough reason to do the sides first.

Comment

I do it like Jean does and base it on whether one can be done with no seams or less seams. I will sometimes buy a length of fabric just for cutting long borders (instead if WOF) and the what's left becomes stash for something else.

Comment

When I did my rainbow coin I cut it the length of the fabric because I didn't want any seams. Was that a bad choice to make?
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

I also decide based on the border. Is it pieced? Are there cornerstones? If I don't want to piece the border I will use length of fabric. I cut it into 4 equal widths. Sometimes 10 inches sometimes 10 1/2 inches. It makes a wide border but I make my quilt the size of the mattress top and let the wide borders fall on the sides.
                    Vonnie

Comment

I always do top and bottom, then sides. No reason why, just do.

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                        I also decide based on the border. Is it pieced? Are there cornerstones? If I don't want to piece the border I will use length of fabric. I cut it into 4 equal widths. Sometimes 10 inches sometimes 10 1/2 inches. It makes a wide border but I make my quilt the size of the mattress top and let the wide borders fall on the sides.
                        Forgot to mention and it's too late to edit: I do sides then top and use the length of fabric.
                        Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                          When I did my rainbow coin I cut it the length of the fabric because I didn't want any seams. Was that a bad choice to make?
                          No, that was the right way for what you wanted. I, on the other hand, find myself wanting to save material "at all cost" and so I will accept seams in my border in order to do so.
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                            No, that was the right way for what you wanted. I, on the other hand, find myself wanting to save material "at all cost" and so I will accept seams in my border in order to do so.

Oh good. I didn't know if I was creating some bias problem. lol It was three sashing's, the two outside borders and the two top. I think I got my worth out of it. it was one of those jump first and think later moments. lol
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have ended up with UFOs that only need borders because I HATE to pin and go around and around and around. yes I feel that some quilts need more than one border because I can't pick which one fabric to use. so I have started to do a top and bottom border that I connect to top and bottom rows before I sew the whole top together. Then I sew the next two borders together and sew the two together as the side. then only have to do a top and bottom. Therefore only fussing with the big top a few times! to me my borders are a drape off the side of a bed so no one is going to notice how they go on!! I do fuss that a border seam doesn't line up exactly with a seam in the quilt or direct middle of top but that is me being weird!

Comment

Working...
                              X