Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a favorite pattern for ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a favorite pattern for ??????

PINCUSHIONS?

I love all of the ones I see in Jenny's tutorials. I asked, and she said she made them. I was hoping my fellow quilters might have a pattern or two that they also love.

I made one that isn't very pretty but it is quite functional. I took a tuna can and yes I did empty and wash it lol. ..... glued fabric to the can and hot glued a couple of stones inside to keep it stable..... then I cut a big circle of fabric....sewed a basting stitch around the edges and stuffed it with fiberfill. After I tightened the string and made a ball of it....I hot glued it into the can. This is the same method I've seen some of you use with tea cups... only I used a good ol tuna can instead..... lol.

Have a wonderful weekend......
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Do you have a favorite pattern for ??????

Hi Mia, I took one of the old little planters, a goose I named Lucy (as in goosey...LOL) and made a cute pincushion out of her. I recently went to the Goodwill store and found a cat and swan planter that I will make into pincushions too. The swan actually looks quite old, dare I say vintage.
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I've made teacup pins cushions for gifts. I find a pretty teacup and saucer at goodwill and fill a scrap circle with steel wool. Gather into a ball-shape and glue in cup. glue cup to saucer. saucer makes a place to put a bobbin, spool etc.
      I can't claim this idea as my own, I saw one done up and copied the idea. (I also buy velvet kids dresses to cut up for the fabric circle. Makes a pretty gift)
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Bakermom is the only one I have seen that used steel wool in her pin cusion. This is really important because if you use fiberfill, your pins will rust. I don't know why, but that's something that my grandmother taught me, and the one I made with fiberfill has rusted all my quilting pins. So, just go to the home improvement store and in the paint section, they have packages of steel wool. Use that, and your pins will stay shiny and new.

Comment

A lot of quilt shops are now carrying crushed walnut shells. These are great for stuffing pin cushions with, too. They are much less expensive at pet supply places - and its the same stuff. Also good for your pins as they don't hold moisture.

Comment

Thanks ladies........ for the information. I see that our own MSQS is selling crushed walnut shells too. I just didn't know what they were for lol. Thanks bunches.... you're a great help
            ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
            Mia

Comment

Never heard of the steel wool as stuffing before - but it makes sense. I too would be interested in a pattern for an easy pin cushion. I don't have a hot glue gun so and all sew pattern would be best for me.
              ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

One of the first things I sewed was a pin cushion since I didn't have one. I looked on You Tube (my source for DIY and where I found MSQC) and used this tutorial.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoZDjkUiouE
                I used some charm squares it made a very cute and functional pin cushion.

So I have a question about the steel wool and walnut shells - do you fill the whole pin cusion with these?
                Thanks!
                Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

l made a pincushion and used 2 .... 5"5 inch squares (charm squares) sewed them on 4 sides. turned it right sides out filled with fibrefill....sewed up the gap put a big pink button on either side sewed it down.

"DO NOT CRITICIZE UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN MY SHOES."
                  :icon_heh::icon_wave::

Comment

Mia, such a good idea. Since I am dieting (haha), I always have tuna on hand!

Comment

Lol ....... Tam...... I eat lots of tuna also. I just love all sorts of pincushions and I want to try the steel wool suggestion.

Those are really pretty Lisa, and I love the colors too.

Jenny has one sitting beside her sewing machine in one of her tutorial. It resembles a large cupcake .... I like it but cannot remember exactly what it looks like. Maybe she will share it in one of her new tutorials....hint hint hint.
                      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                      Mia

Comment

Hi Ladies, if you use crushed walnut shells in pin cushions be sure you do not gift it to someone with nut allergies. Both my 55+ sister, and 30+ niece have nut allergies and it would take them a long time to solve the mystery and misery of a walnut shell filled pin cushion. dmt

Comment

Yes the whole pin cushion is filled with the shells or steel wool. I like the steel wool because I THINK it keeps the pins sharp. I also have taken a ad magnet for the fridg... maybe a pro or college sport schedual or pizza joint so you keep their phone number close, & gentle peeled the ad off. There's plenty of sticky left on the magnet & stuck it to the flat neck space on the sewing machine. So as I'm sewing i can just slide the pins out of the seam & drag them on to the magnet. Found it lots easier then trying to stick the pin cushion. Have to keep my eyes on the sewing needle!!!! The tuna can also works with a magnet glued to the inside bottom. Don't stuff it just use it as a "cup" to toss them in. You can still pretty up the outside of the can. Remember magnets don't work on brass. Pins & needles must be steel.
                          Oma

Comment

Some of the newer machines can be pretty well fried by putting a magnet too close to their electronic parts, if you didn't mind gumming up the outside with adhesive. Mom's old Kenmore, on the other hand, probably has enough metal to make a new car, and could handle having a magnet stuck to it. Just be careful with the magnets, even the big ones they use for holding pins.
                            I have a pincushion that I was given as a gift, it is a goat. Super cute!
                            I'd check the web for fun patterns. I have seen a bunch of them.
                            Be who you are and say what you feel
                            because those who mind don't matter,
                            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I thought so too earlier but you CAN use a fridge magnet no problem, - I do.

More on this subject:

Quote: This pin place/scissor spot is a magnetic spot for your sewing machine that attaches with a suction cup. It easily grabs your scissors; pins and needles without you having to take your eyes off your work. Safe for sewing machines; sergers; computer or monitor (microchips are not effected by magnetic fields; magnetic storage devices such as diskettes are vulnerable to magnet fields); die-cutting machines and much more! Made in USA.

My pincushions are many, mostly the "tomato"-type but also pillows etc.

I make the tomato ones by sewing all around right sides together pretty fabric/fleece. I then cut an opening in the fleece where a thread will cover later, turn it and stuff with wool yarn before closing it with some stitches and do the thread wrap bit.
                              Some I embellish with a button, others just knot frayed up.

Some old images from my blog.

*Hugs*
                              Fabric purchases require no justification!
                              A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X