material panic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

material panic

I've tried and tried. I've read articles and watch videos. But, the minute I walk into a fabric store I suffer overload and can't figure out what materials to put together for my first quilt top.

Re: material panic

Just order a cute charm pack on a Daily deal here and start with a simple patchwork for your first project.
    Sondra J. :icon_wave:

Comment

I hear ya dear! That was the reason I ordered my first purchase from Missouri Star about a year and a half ago. The Pre-cuts take all the guess work out of matching for you. I have since made many, many orders from here, but I am finally getting a little more confident in choosing fabrics to go together now, I think you just have to work with fabrics for awhile to kind of get a feel for what you like.
      sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I've actually been considering that very approach so that someone else has to do the thinking. Something else I've looked at was buying a block of the month pre-cut package. In all honesty, I guess I'm also frustrated because I want to start "too big" and trying something more challenging that something a newbie should stitch. In reality I know I should go with a simple 9 patch or something, but I've got a list of about 50 different blocks I want to try and make "sometime". SIGH...

Comment

Watch some MSQC tutorials and figure out which quilt to make then order the appropriate pre cuts. Good luck!

Comment

This is all Jenny's fault anyway! I had never had an urge to quilt until I wondered across a MSQC youtube tutorial. LOL!

Comment

I had the same fears when I first started so I bought a kit that included the pattern and the fabrics. I found that it gave me the opportunity to learn the techniques of quilting without the burden of choosing coordinating fabrics.
              Judy

Comment

Another thing you can do is do a pattern that has only has only about four or five fabrics. I actually like them better sometimes. Start with something simple.This isn't mine,but I still love the simplicity of it

squares.jpg
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

If you live in Western Washington, I'll take you to a shop and get you over your fear!!!!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Well first of all you are not alone...I think everyone who first starts out has the same feelings. I took a class where we were all going to make the same 9 block wall hanging.....it was amazing to see how we each chose different fabrics yet made all the same blocks. We were taught to choose a main "focus" fabric with a medium to large print and then pulled colors out of that as our accent fabrics.
                    Mot only did we learn about color but also learned how to make 9 different blocks. It was really a fun class. Good Luck and keep us posted. Patti

Comment

I'm afraid I'm smack dab in the heart of Kentucky! Thanks for the offer though! I have a friend who has recently started her first top and is promising to take me shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabricadabra View Post
                        Well first of all you are not alone...I think everyone who first starts out has the same feelings. I took a class where we were all going to make the same 9 block wall hanging.....it was amazing to see how we each chose different fabrics yet made all the same blocks. We were taught to choose a main "focus" fabric with a medium to large print and then pulled colors out of that as our accent fabrics.
                        Mot only did we learn about color but also learned how to make 9 different blocks. It was really a fun class. Good Luck and keep us posted. Patti
                        I've been reading the Elm Creek Quilts book series and wish for a quilt camp like the one they talk about in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                          Another thing you can do is do a pattern that has only has only about four or five fabrics. I actually like them better sometimes. Start with something simple.This isn't mine,but I still love the simplicity of it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77434[/ATTACH]
                          LOL! I've picked two pieces that I like with that very idea in mind, but they are too similar in pattern and the colors don't work together (I think). But I love the one in your pic.

Comment

I usually told my students to find one fabric that they like (it speaks to them)..... work from there! if your quilt pattern needs 4 fabrics, find the one that is used most. if there are lights or darks to be added work off that first fabric.
                            if you still feel overwhelmed go to a local quilt shop and ask for help...............honest they will not judge. they will help. you always have a VETO right. and YOU can do this!
                            [SIGPIC]sigpicCarol
                            Blonde Biker Quilts
                            Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I second the recommendation to ask for help at your local quilt shop. I am surprised that they didn't offer the help to begin with.
                              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Working...
                              X