do I need more fabric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do I need more fabric?

Hi ladies! I need some help from some experts with my sashing and borders. Ok so I'm making a quilt with 12 inch by 12 inch blocks. There's 3 blocks across and 7 blocks down. I want to do 2 inch sashing between each row, vertical and horizontal. I also want to have at least 2 inch border all around maybe even 4 inch if I can. So I have 2 yards of fabric. Is that enough? Does anyone have tips on cutting sashing so that it's perfectly even every time? I've messed up with cutting in the past and the whole table runner was off. I'd obviously like to avoid that this time. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: do I need more fabric?

OK, Who had the quilting yardage thingie on their iPhone? Somebody had that or a calculator that would shoot out the yardage in less time that it will take me to find a pencil and a piece of paper to try to figure this out.

Hang on Rosie, I know there is help out there! :mrgreen:
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Let's see, you need 52 2.5" by 12.5" strips for the sashing. You can get 3 strips from each crosswise strip so you need 18 strips each cut at 2.5" which means you need 1 and 1/4 yards just for the sashing. I would add 1/8 of a yard for fudge factor so for the sashing you need 1 3/8 yd. For the borders, 12 X 7 blocks down = 84" plus 8 X 2" sashing = 100" or 4.5" X 3 strips for each side, so 27" for the 2 sides. Then the top and bottom borders, cut at 4.5", you need 2 strips cut. So with a little fudge thrown in, you need 39". Bottom line, if you want 4 inch borders with 2 inch sashing, you need 2 and one/half yards, so you do not have enough! I don't think you'd want to go any narrower than 4" borders with those 2" sashes. Hope this helps! I also hope I did the math right!
      See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi ladies,

thanks for your help... BUT ops: .... it was really late when I posted that message and I made a mistake. My quilt is 4 blocks across and 5 blocks down (no idea why I said 3 by 7... that would make a really long quilt). Alrighty, who's got that iphone?

Comment

Working...
        X