Cottage Rose Quilt Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottage Rose Quilt Help

Hi everyone! Yesterday, I began my Cottage Rose Quilt at Jo-Ann fabric's class. (There will be 3 more classes, that are 3 hours long each.)

I need to sew, applique, and blind hem stitch: 70 blocks before Thursday of next week.

The issue is that my mother and I, do not have a sewing machine with a small blind hem stitch feature....

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions??

Thank you for reading this

-April

Re: Cottage Rose Quilt Help

Well there is always the hand-sew option-it would take me longer than next week though.
    do you have a small zigzag stitch on your machine? Practice till you feel comfortable with it before you work on your blocks. i don't do a lot of applique but I'm sure others here will have options for you.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

April I assume the blind hem stitch is for around the edge of the applique, if so then Bakermom is right, this can be accomplished with a tiny zigzag. play with the width and length settings until you get something that looks ok but it will be quite tiny to get a nice finish.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thank you both!

Luckily, I was actually able to buy a sewing machine from a friend, that had the blind hem stitch feature and more! For 20$.

Projects are great, but being on a time crunch is not fun lol. I want to make sure I am able to keep up.
        The reason I'm taking this particular class, is to learn how to complete a quilt.

Thank you both very much
        Last edited by AQUILTS07; June 11, 2011, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Glad you were able to find such a great deal on that sewing machine. Sewing on a deadline is not fun, indeed. If you can't keep up don't worry cause you can always make a lap quilt or wall hanging. It is the same process just smaller in size. Good luck!
          Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan! I agree, I will bring my first project to class if time gets too short

Comment

I have discovered two things, since beginning this new project.

One, I discovered I am really good at sewing!

Two, I realized that at Jo-Anns the project is too large and complicated that we wont be able to complete the project .

The class emphasized that we'd learn ''start to finish'', but it's not necessarily true. However, I am staying on top of my work for each class, and hopefully I'll get ahead to be able to complete the quilt.

This quilt I feel wasn't exactly the best choice for a beginners project, since we did 70 blocks, each with applique (using freezer paper), and more.

I will keep everyone posted on how it all turns out. I am determined to complete it

Comment

That definitely sounds intense! A lap size or wall hanging would have been more fun Don't give up though, it will be worth it in the end!
                To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
                Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

Working...
                X