Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

minkee fabric

Hi everyone,
    I bought the Minkee Tween fabric in 10 or 11" squares and I'm having trouble working with it. As long as I sew two pieces together on the UN-stretchy side, I'm fine, but then I eventually have to sew on the stretchy side and it's all out of whack. Can I stabilize the stretchy side somehow? I used my even feed foot, but the fabric keeps getting caught up under the foot because of the fuzziness of the fabric. I'm frustrated!

Re: minkee fabric

Hi Maureen. I've never worked with this fabric before but have lots of experience sewing on lots of different fabrics. You could try using a temporary stabilizer to keep it from stretching--that might be the best answer. Good luck to you.
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Maureen I have never worked with the minkee fabric but as far as the bunching up under the foot try using a scrap of paper under the fabric when you begin to sew. The paper keeps it from getting pushed down in these feet dogs and after you get it stitched the paper will rip right off because it is perferated from the needle.Not sure what to do about the stretching.
      Hope this helps.
      Rhonda

Comment

Paper works for me too. also, are you using a walking foot? maybe decrease the pressure on fabric if you don't have one. minkee can be a bear but it is sooooo soft on a quilt!
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have used Minkee, but always with a flannel. One square Minkee, one square flannel, for baby quilts, with a Minkee backing. Can you make sure you always have one unstretchy side with one stretchy side and make sure the stretchy side is on the bottom when you sew it? Or should it be on the top?? I know I found one way the worked better than the other?? You know you are getting old when. Play around with it, I am sure you can make it work!!
          JVO

Comment

I'm planning a minkee quilt too and I think I'll try the paper........ seems easiest lol
            ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
            Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
            (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

i made a quilt using minkee. . it turned out fantastic but that stretchy side is a pain. i watched a video on the minkee site they said pin pin and pin and then pin some more and leave a half inch seam allowance. I did both and some of my points were still off. I left them that way cuz it wuda been nearly impossible to get them all perfect... it was for a 4yo so she doesnt care about the points : ) good luck working with that minkee fabric.
              Attached Files

Comment

I was told to use spray starch on minkee before you sew it and freezer paper is a good stablizer bc you can press it and it will stay till you pull it off.
                Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by MissieP View Post
                  i made a quilt using minkee. . it turned out fantastic but that stretchy side is a pain. i watched a video on the minkee site they said pin pin and pin and then pin some more and leave a half inch seam allowance. I did both and some of my points were still off. I left them that way cuz it wuda been nearly impossible to get them all perfect... it was for a 4yo so she doesnt care about the points : ) good luck working with that minkee fabric.
                  Very cozy looking blanket Missie. great job!

Comment

Working...
                  X