Quilt backing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt backing....

Hi everyone...... hope you have a wonderful Monday and .... well, um..... I have a question.

Do you purchase extra wide fabric for your quilt backs ... if not... what do you use most often.

Thanks as always
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Quilt backing....

Hi Mia. I have never once bought extra wide fabric for backing. Don't really know why! I always just buy regular width fabric and piece it together. If it's a quilt I am using for a table top or bed I use a coordinating fabric but if it's just a wall hanging (for me) I sometimes just use muslin.
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I have never bought the wide material either. Just because I am in a location that did not carry it until recently. I have not done the math to compare the wide vs the regular width as to cost per meter! I will have to sit down and do that, because I have 3 quilts waiting for backing!!!
      JVO

Comment

The one quilt I actually finished I just used muslin (off white). Then I was thinking to myself....aw you cheaped out, should have gotten the wide print fabric. But then after I did the long arm quilting, the muslin looked really nice because it showed off the quilting. So depending on what I'm doing for quilting will determine which I use for a backing.
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Thank you Martha, JVO and Nancy for your help. I haven't bought the wide fabric either.... because all I can find locally is muslin. I have not one or two or three, but FOUR quilts that need backing. I'm seeing dollar signs lol. I did find a pretty red tonal print here on MSQC for the back of my black and white star quilt but they are out of stock. Thanks again..........
          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
          Mia

Comment

i do buy it occasionally for my bigger quilts. If I plan well, I can get two backs for baby quilts out of one piece. I use my joanns coupons to get the best deal.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have bought the wide muslin for backing, but I haven't found a wide print in my price range that I like the quality of. Some of the pricier stuff of better quality, I don't like the print on. I have thought about hand dying my own backing fabrics from the wide muslin, buuuut, I really don't need one more messy hobby.

I have just finished a backing pieced of the leftovers from the border material of the front. It's kind of it's own simple quilt. I think I'll end up doing something similar with Em's zebra quilt too. I need about 4" more to make the backing fit width wise. I am thinking of a strip of 6.5" squares of fabrics left from the front set in to the backing to give it the extra width. Since I know she'll be dragging the thing all over the house, it might as well have some interest on the back too.

Some folks use flat sheets as backing. Not sure the good sheets are any less expensive than piecing together coordinating fabrics.

I have found that our J's carries the Kona Cotton Muslin in the brighter white in the wide width. Lovin' using the coupon on THAT! That is great for piecing the fronts too.

Good luck on your quest for the perfect back for your quilts!

Good luck!
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

My mom used to used a king size flat sheet. And she hand quilted everything!!! I haven't tried it.
                :icon_razz::icon_razz:
                Lorie 20

Comment

When I do buy the wide backing it is the wide muslin from JA. I have seen some pretty prints at some shops around here but it is usually out of my price range. i have used sheets, too. Not always cheaper but sometimes they do make a pretty back.
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Lots of great suggestions..... thanks again. I like the idea of using leftovers from the quilt top to add some interest to the back. I priced some extra wide fabric online today and it's pretty expensive...... so maybe the muslin and the scraps are the best bet. Thanks all
                    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                    Mia

Comment

I used a 50% off coupon to buy an entire bolt of 108" natural muslin from JA. I only use muslin on quilts that I know are going to be used more often (my kids' quilts!) otherwise I'll piece together a backing that is from the same fabric line as the material I use on the quilt top.

My next 50% off coupon is going towards a bolt of extra wide bleached muslin.
                      ~Mary
                      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Good idea Mary....... I just got a 50% off coupon this past weekend.
                        ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                        Mia

Comment

I purchased the wide backing for a large quilt. It just seemed easier at the time. I usually just piece the back. I finished a quilt last week that has a center of 3/12 " blocks in the backing. Turned out nice. I will post a picture once I get the binding done.
                          Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I saw a really pretty back at a quilt show this past weekend. It was four pieces of fabric, two of one pattern and two of another and they were like a checkerboard. Easy and looked classy.

Comment

I do buy wide back when possible, I hate piecing and it's cheaper by far. 19.99 - 23.99 per meter canadian, it's 108- 110 inches wide I usually only have to buy 2.2 meters depending on the quilt so it's roughly 22.00 dollars where that same size you would have to buy 5 meters of regular fabric 42 inches wide. 70.00 dollars canadian roughly.
                              :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

Working...
                              X