Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried the twisted ruler, liked it....now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goofyizzy
    replied
    Re: Tried the twisted ruler, liked it....now what?

I love the fabrics and think it would make a darling table topper. If you want to tone it down I would use the grey and aqua for the borders and binding, not the red. jmho.

Leave a comment:

• yellowstone
    replied

I will definitely go for a baby blanket, thank you for all the suggestions, they inspired me to actially go back to the project. I will post a picture when the top is done.

Leave a comment:

• Blonde Biker
    replied

I was just about to suggest that! try to finish the project. Finishing makes you feel accomplished! Great job btw. a great tool for checking color values is the Ruby Beholder. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...66917471,d.cGU
    Originally posted by clwetzel View Post
    I would do a narrow border with the dark color you have there, follow it with a wide in the medium, and bind it with the red. For some reason, I always like to have that pop color farthest out, which is usually the binding.

Leave a comment:

• clwetzel
    replied

I would do a narrow border with the dark color you have there, follow it with a wide in the medium, and bind it with the red. For some reason, I always like to have that pop color farthest out, which is usually the binding.

Leave a comment:

• Eliza
    replied

What about, bind it in red and call it a table topper?

Leave a comment:

• Annabelle013
    replied

What you have done so far is just beautiful. I hope you share the finshed project.

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

The twister rulers cause the initial block quilt to shrink between 25-30%. So go big or go home when an big these or you will end up with a nice wall hanging or table topper.

Leave a comment:

• Cat77
    replied

Hmm, you could also do a small light grey border, then a wider dark blue border and a bright binding.

Or a small inner border, then an outer border with one twisted cross in each corner as corner stones and finish off with a third border. That would add size and some interest...

Leave a comment:

• yellowstone
    replied

IMAG8859.jpgIMAG8855.jpgYes, I used only 1 charm pack, Family Tree by Moda. I'd use at least 2 or 3 charm packs in the future, the size of the inner twisted part is just too small. It looks like I misread about the red color. One inch border of some other color, wide red and bright binding sounds good.

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

I love the colors. I would do the 1" border and then add a solid in the aqua color and then bind it in one of the brighter colors. The binding would tie all the bold colors together. I love the twister ruler. I have only used it once, and I made the Christmas wreath table topper. I would love to do a quilt. Is that a whole charm pack that you used?

Leave a comment:

• Nene
    replied

I would use the red also. Think it will make it pop.

Leave a comment:

• yellowstone
    replied

Also, the whole thing is only 21x22 or so. I'd like to make it into at least a usable size. One inch red sounds a good separation, but then the border would need to be at least 5-8 inches, would it be too wide for such small inside busy pattern? Several borders - then, would I make a narrow narrow wide border?

Leave a comment:

• JTrott
    replied

I would add a tone on tone print of one of the colors , like red. I also like to do a 1 inch narrow border before adding the wider one

Leave a comment:

• yellowstone
    started a topic Tried the twisted ruler, liked it....now what?

Tried the twisted ruler, liked it....now what?

Hi, I got myself a little present, Twisted ruler, so I grabed a charm pack and here's the result. I enjoyed the process, but now, I don't know what to do for the border.
    Actually, to tell you the truth, I liked the colors when it was in the squares stages, it seems too busy for me now, I'd like to tone it down.
    I don't have much quilting experience, definetely haven't developed an "eye" for the color yet....and quilt store is far away. Here's what I found in my stash, any suggestions, as the color flow is just now there for me... Please help! TatyanaIMAG9258.jpg
Working...
X