Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried the twisted ruler, liked it....now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried the twisted ruler, liked it....now what?

Hi, I got myself a little present, Twisted ruler, so I grabed a charm pack and here's the result. I enjoyed the process, but now, I don't know what to do for the border.
    Actually, to tell you the truth, I liked the colors when it was in the squares stages, it seems too busy for me now, I'd like to tone it down.
    I don't have much quilting experience, definetely haven't developed an "eye" for the color yet....and quilt store is far away. Here's what I found in my stash, any suggestions, as the color flow is just now there for me... Please help! TatyanaIMAG9258.jpg

Re: Tried the twisted ruler, liked it....now what?

I would add a tone on tone print of one of the colors , like red. I also like to do a 1 inch narrow border before adding the wider one

Comment

Also, the whole thing is only 21x22 or so. I'd like to make it into at least a usable size. One inch red sounds a good separation, but then the border would need to be at least 5-8 inches, would it be too wide for such small inside busy pattern? Several borders - then, would I make a narrow narrow wide border?

Comment

I would use the red also. Think it will make it pop.

Comment

I love the colors. I would do the 1" border and then add a solid in the aqua color and then bind it in one of the brighter colors. The binding would tie all the bold colors together. I love the twister ruler. I have only used it once, and I made the Christmas wreath table topper. I would love to do a quilt. Is that a whole charm pack that you used?
          "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
          :D

Comment

IMAG8859.jpgIMAG8855.jpgYes, I used only 1 charm pack, Family Tree by Moda. I'd use at least 2 or 3 charm packs in the future, the size of the inner twisted part is just too small. It looks like I misread about the red color. One inch border of some other color, wide red and bright binding sounds good.

Comment

Hmm, you could also do a small light grey border, then a wider dark blue border and a bright binding.

Or a small inner border, then an outer border with one twisted cross in each corner as corner stones and finish off with a third border. That would add size and some interest...

Comment

The twister rulers cause the initial block quilt to shrink between 25-30%. So go big or go home when an big these or you will end up with a nice wall hanging or table topper.

Comment

What you have done so far is just beautiful. I hope you share the finshed project.

Comment

What about, bind it in red and call it a table topper?

Comment

I would do a narrow border with the dark color you have there, follow it with a wide in the medium, and bind it with the red. For some reason, I always like to have that pop color farthest out, which is usually the binding.

Comment

I was just about to suggest that! try to finish the project. Finishing makes you feel accomplished! Great job btw. a great tool for checking color values is the Ruby Beholder. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...66917471,d.cGU
                        Originally posted by clwetzel View Post
                        I would do a narrow border with the dark color you have there, follow it with a wide in the medium, and bind it with the red. For some reason, I always like to have that pop color farthest out, which is usually the binding.
                        [SIGPIC]sigpicCarol
                        Blonde Biker Quilts
                        Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I will definitely go for a baby blanket, thank you for all the suggestions, they inspired me to actially go back to the project. I will post a picture when the top is done.

Comment

I love the fabrics and think it would make a darling table topper. If you want to tone it down I would use the grey and aqua for the borders and binding, not the red. jmho.

Comment

Working...
                            X