How many yards of fabric do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many yards of fabric do I need?

I am wanting to make a flannel quilt with the ten minute block method. I want at least a queen size if not bigger. I plan on using 4 different colors so my question is.. How many yards of fabric should I buy of each color to make a quilt of this size?My finished blocks should be about 16".(5 0f the 8" blocks) Is this clear as muddy water???Thanks in advance.
    Rhonda from KY.
    Last edited by RFREE; June 2, 2011, 07:06 AM.

Re: How many yards of fabric do I need?

When I first saw your thread title my thought was: As many as you can get your hands on!

I don't know what the 10 minute block is, so until I do some research, I can't help much! Good luck, I'm sure one of the others will know for sure.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

You should get 20 8" blocks from one yard(5 WOF, 4 LOF)

If a queen size is approx.90x106 you would have 6(act.96) blocks across, 7 (actually 112")based on your 16" block. When all else fails, i draw it out on graph paper.
      Last edited by bakermom; June 2, 2011, 09:59 AM. Reason: first figures based on mattress size, not quilt size
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I'm no help, but is there such a thing as too much fabric??????

Comment

I always buy more than they tell me. I figure "what if I make a mistake in piecing the block?" The excess goes into my fabric stash.
          Gee...I wasn't much help. Sorry.
          Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susan M View Post
            I always buy more than they tell me. I figure "what if I make a mistake in piecing the block?" The excess goes into my fabric stash.
            Gee...I wasn't much help. Sorry.
            No you are right. It is always better to have to much as apposed to to little.Knowing me I will mess something up for sure. Extra fabric will be on hand for sure!Thanks Susan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lana Monteith View Post
              I'm no help, but is there such a thing as too much fabric??????
              Amen sister!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bakermom View Post

If a queen size is approx.90x106 you would have 6(act.96) blocks across, 7 (actually 112")based on your 16" block. When all else fails, i draw it out on graph paper.
                Thank you Bakermom. This does help me. I like the idea of the graph paper. I think I have some too.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                  When I first saw your thread title my thought was: As many as you can get your hands on!

I don't know what the 10 minute block is, so until I do some research, I can't help much! Good luck, I'm sure one of the others will know for sure.
                  Check it out on youtube..."ten minute block" it is sewwwww cool. Looks like you can make a beauty of a quilt top in no time flat.That I like for sure!!

Comment

hahahahahahahah i am with Cathy!
                    Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
                    hugs, Suzi
                    http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
                    it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

RFREE you really have saved what is left of my sanity. My daughter wants a quilt for her 30th which is ok (kinda) but she wanted an all white one with..........if there has to be any colour mother........ the teeniest bit of sage green.......... i was at a loss what to do that wouldnt take custom long arm quilting which would be beyond my budget for her gift and also would mean that i hadnt really done the loveliness on the quilt.

This afternoon i made a white on white 10 minute block and ohhhhhhhhh my it looks stunning!

So my problem solved, there will be enough simple blocks to show off the quilting and i think it is going to look great.

ok...........sighs.....back to my current quilt.i am still stalled, only creeping forward in tiny steps every day. Now however i am hoping for a boost because i want to get onto the white quilt

Thanks again.......Hey.....i might do some 10 minute blocks on this one too...............yayyyyyyyy....runssssssss
                      Blog
                      http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Daisy View Post
                        RFREE you really have saved what is left of my sanity. My daughter wants a quilt for her 30th which is ok (kinda) but she wanted an all white one with..........if there has to be any colour mother........ the teeniest bit of sage green.......... i was at a loss what to do that wouldnt take custom long arm quilting which would be beyond my budget for her gift and also would mean that i hadnt really done the loveliness on the quilt.

This afternoon i made a white on white 10 minute block and ohhhhhhhhh my it looks stunning!

So my problem solved, there will be enough simple blocks to show off the quilting and i think it is going to look great.

ok...........sighs.....back to my current quilt.i am still stalled, only creeping forward in tiny steps every day. Now however i am hoping for a boost because i want to get onto the white quilt

Thanks again.......Hey.....i might do some 10 minute blocks on this one too...............yayyyyyyyy....runssssssss
                        Yay!!!! Good for you. Always glad to help a fellow quilter.I think the blocks are really pretty and sew sew easy to make. quick too.I have no patience.Still working on that. Glad I could help. Remember.... We want to see pictures!!!!

Comment

Rhonda I have the book but sadly they don't list amounts for queen size they go from double to king which they list as being 113"x113" and on average uses about 10.5 to 11 yards.
                          Originally posted by bakermom View Post

Building on what Bakermom has worked out, you get 20 x 8.5" squares from a yard, you need 5 squares for a block so will get 4 blocks from a yard. You need 42 blocks (6 blks x 7 blks), 42 /4 = 10.5, by this calculation you will need 10.5 yards of fabric. This seemed a lot to me but then realised that all the fabric in those block centres don't add to the dimensions of the quilt so it sort of makes sense.
                          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                            Rhonda I have the book but sadly they don't list amounts for queen size they go from double to king which they list as being 113"x113" and on average uses about 10.5 to 11 yards.

Building on what Bakermom has worked out, you get 20 x 8.5" squares from a yard, you need 5 squares for a block so will get 4 blocks from a yard. You need 42 blocks (6 blks x 7 blks), 42 /4 = 10.5, by this calculation you will need 10.5 yards of fabric. This seemed a lot to me but then realised that all the fabric in those block centres don't add to the dimensions of the quilt so it sort of makes sense.
                            Wow Lynn thanks. I think I can do this now thanks to everyones help.10 yards does seem like alot but you are right the center block does nothing for the demensions of the blocks.I am gonna try it anyway just to see what I can come up with. Hopefully I can pull this off.Thanks again!

Comment

If you think about it, this would be great as a scrap quilt because that many 8.5" squares from scraps wouldn't be so daunting, but it looks a lot when you are using planned fabric colours because you actually have to buy yardage.

By the way the original block design uses a 10" square, it was designed for layer cakes, your 8.5" cut square uses more fabric as there are that many more seam allowances. But having said that, your measurement divides into the fabric widths better, you would only get 12 squares from a yard at 10" and have wastage.
                              Last edited by Dragonfly; June 2, 2011, 08:56 PM. Reason: grammar
                              Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Working...
                              X