Anybody ever made a swim suit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody ever made a swim suit???

Has anyone ever made their own swimsuit? I have ordered the pattern and the fabric and I am not sure if I can do it or not. Any tips?Maybe what size needle do I use since it is this stretchy fabric??? I have never tried this before. Not sure what I was thinking Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Anybody ever made a swim suit???

It's been years since i've sewn with knits but i know you need a ball point needle.
    β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I made swimsuits for myself and my daughter several years ago. I did almost the entire thing on my serger.
      K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

You definitely need the ball point needle unless you use the serger. Just follow the pattern and work slow. You'll be great. Hugs, Jan
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Have sewn a lot of swim suits over the years. Haven't attempted one in awhile. Ball point needle is a must! Stretch and sew in elastic on machine and then turn in to form casing......don't make a regular casing on leg holes. (make this fit well---no sags and not too tight so that it blossoms over the edge) Use a nice stretch stitch on your machine. I didn't use the serger except for side seams. If you have ruffles or loose edges....don't hem them... too bulky....the fabric will not ravel. Use 2 way stretch fabric, put the stretchiest around the body. Make an inner lining for the tummy area (cut the opposite stretch of suit) to help hide tummy rolls (ok---this is for me.....probably not anyone else) Might need to double or triple layer the bust area, for modesty. Wear it the first time in your shower......get it wet.....look for sags.....then you can know it will look great at the pool or the beach!! Good luck....you can do this!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
            Have sewn a lot of swim suits over the years. Haven't attempted one in awhile. Ball point needle is a must! Stretch and sew in elastic on machine and then turn in to form casing......don't make a regular casing on leg holes. (make this fit well---no sags and not too tight so that it blossoms over the edge) Use a nice stretch stitch on your machine. I didn't use the serger except for side seams. If you have ruffles or loose edges....don't hem them... too bulky....the fabric will not ravel. Use 2 way stretch fabric, put the stretchiest around the body. Make an inner lining for the tummy area (cut the opposite stretch of suit) to help hide tummy rolls (ok---this is for me.....probably not anyone else) Might need to double or triple layer the bust area, for modesty. Wear it the first time in your shower......get it wet.....look for sags.....then you can know it will look great at the pool or the beach!! Good luck....you can do this!!!!
            Wow Suzyque! I am kinda;as my daughter always sais:sceered. ha ha. I didn't realize there was so much to do or not do as it may be.I already have the pattern and fabric but I may have to ask my neighbor to give it a whirl. She makes clothes for her GK all the time. I have a serger but wow this would be way to much trouble it seems like.I may tuck my tail and run away from this one.Then again I will never wear it out in public just here at the house.I might try it I just don't know now. Thanks for all the advise girls the jury is still out on this one

Comment

Rhonda----didn't mean to scare you off! I just wanted to give you a few tips....things I learned the hard way. TRY it, I know you can do it! This is just one garment that you want to be sure it fits.....well....before showing it off in public! Please don't let me scare you away from trying!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                Rhonda----didn't mean to scare you off! I just wanted to give you a few tips....things I learned the hard way. TRY it, I know you can do it! This is just one garment that you want to be sure it fits.....well....before showing it off in public! Please don't let me scare you away from trying!
                Aww heck SuzQque I will give it a whirl. You didn't scare me off I was just kiddin. I appreciate any advice anybody has to give. IF........(thats a big if) I make it I will post pictures of it.Thanks girlfriend.My last day at work is Tues so I will get on it after that.

Comment

Yes, years ago. I used a ball point needle made for stretchy fabrics and used a zig zag stitch to give it extra stretch. If you use a regular straight stitch, you will lose the stretchiness. Practice on a similar piece first so you don't ruin your good fabric. In bathing suits stretch is important. Also, make sure your fabric is not see through when wet! You may have to use a similar stretch fabric for lining.

Comment

This post is a little dated, but I had a question to add. I have been wanting to make a swimsuit as well, which may not be a great project until I get some more experience under my belt. But my question is, what kind of thread would I use on a Nylon/Lycra fabric?

Comment

I think I would use a polyester or a poly-cotton blend. Just make sure you have a stretch stitch in the seams!

Comment

Working...
                      X