straight line quilting...marking lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

straight line quilting...marking lines

Should I mark my lines and if so, with what?

I have a vanishing marker recommended by my quilt shop...but I asked some Mennonite ladies and they said they just use pencil.

Does anyone know if pencil will wash out?

Re: straight line quilting...marking lines

Not sure about using a pencil...but I find that vanishing ink (the purple kind, I'm guessing?) vanishes way too fast for me! I've done some pretty intricate marking with a vanishing purple pen that was gone by the time I actually got around to doing the quilting! Ha!

I usually have decent luck with the blue wash-out ink, and I've heard those ceramic-lead pencils (I think they either wash out or iron off) are really good, too. I haven't tried them yet. I have tried the new Frixion pens from Pilot, and they are awesome, but I don't think I'd mark a quilt top with them.

So many options... Have fun!

Comment

I use pencil all the time and a few tutorials I've watched used pencils also. They say to use a mechanical pencil so you don't press as hard. I just use a regular pencil and don't press hard, just enough so I can see the line and I've had no problems..washes out fine.
      Cil
      A quilt is a blanket of love
      http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
      http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I love the Frixxion pens. The ink disappears as soon as you iron it. I've heard of people writing with them, leaving the papers in their cars, and the summer heat will erase all the ink. They can put it in the freezer and the ink will reappear. So don't freeze your quilts after they're made <lol>.

Comment

I love the mechanical pencils. I've had no problem washing it out.

Comment

I save the last bits of bar soap and use those when lines are needed.

Comment

I've been using the frixxion pens - you barely need to touch an iron to it and it vanishes completely.

Comment

You can also use the guide bar that is in your accessories kit, blue painters tape, or use the foot itself as a guide for the width of your lines.

Comment

Blue painters tape works wonderfully! It comes in different widths and you can reuse it a couple of times before it doesn't stick anymore. Just sew along the edge of it.

http://tallgrassprairiestudio.blogsp...-and-tips.html

http://christaquiltsblog.com/2013/08...painters-tape/

http://www.oliveandollie.com/2011/08...s-tape-as.html
                  Last edited by Auntpiggylpn; April 29th, 2014, 08:26 PM.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Blue pinters tape and your walking foot will do the job. I just finished a Craftsy class on quilting with your walking foot. Fabulous class, excellent instructor, I learned so much about straight line quilting. You might want to check it out.

Comment

Love the frixion pens or pounce if its a dark fabric both iron off beautifully.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Watch out for those frixion pens...they leave a faint white line when you use them on dark fabric. And it doesn't go away with ironing.
                        When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I've used pencil to mark lighter fabrics and yellow or white crayon for darker fabrics. No problems so far.

Or maybe you'd prefer a hera marker?

Comment

Originally posted by quilter.martha View Post
                            Watch out for those frixion pens...they leave a faint white line when you use them on dark fabric. And it doesn't go away with ironing.
                            My experience was that it did go away with washing. The white line is the gel, per something I read somewhere, LOL.

Comment

In my vast experience of quilting one quilt, I tried a couple of things but settled on the Frixion pen - loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X