fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fabric

Have you seen the price jump in quilting cottons 10.00 a yard now,WOW! That's hard to believe. I guess I'll have to stick to buying FQ .

Re: fabric

I shop mostly on-line and in the sale sections or specials. Plenty of good quilt shops to look at.
    Susan

Comment

I'd cry for you but we pay $25. I was talking to my LQS owner yesterday and she said there has been a marked jump in the wholesale price so I guess ours will be on the rise as well. Good thing I have a nice stash I should be able to make a few quilts from that if things get too silly.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Holy mackerel...$25????? Yipes! Lynn, can you purchase from U.S. quilt shops? My bank won't deal with some areas.
        Susan

Comment

Yes I can purchase form US stores but quite often by the time you pay the freight its more trouble than its worth, and I'm a tactile and immediate person. I like to be able to see and touch the fabric and take it home with me now.
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

where online do you shop for fabrics besides here? pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
              Yes I can purchase form US stores but quite often by the time you pay the freight its more trouble than its worth, and I'm a tactile and immediate person. I like to be able to see and touch the fabric and take it home with me now.
              Me too Lynn, and the other consideration is that if we stop purchasing locally altogether, the next time we look our LQS's are no longer there.

Mary B.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryB View Post
                Me too Lynn, and the other consideration is that if we stop purchasing locally altogether, the next time we look our LQS's are no longer there.

Mary B.
                Indeed Mary, this is a topic on which I am known to be very vocal and outspoken, we have lost far too many LQS.

Sewsoft, I don't make a habit of buying online, I have just made an order with MSQC but mostly for templates ie the ones that Natalie has designed so nothing similar available here that I have found. I am also about to order some June Taylor slotted rulers which I can get here but at extortionist prices. To be honest, prices aside I am still a lot happier buying my fabric locally, I just need to think about it a little more.
                Lynn

Comment

I joined the Fabshop Hop and they are currently having a sale. The site introduces you to about 180+ quilt shops some of which have sales. I particularly like the "find the bunny" game and play every month, so the sales are always going on. A few of my favorites are through this site, and there are plenty of $5/yard [or less] fabrics. Here is the link to be a member, free of course!

http://fabshophop.com/
                  Susan

Comment

BTW I am very supportive of our local shops, but must explain that I have epilepsy and shopping under florescent lights is tricky for me. If the lights flash even slightly or worse yet, go on and off, I get so dizzy that it is not safe for me. Before entering a store I look at the lights for flickering and sometimes cannot even enter. With the cost of gas and having to drag someone with me [in case I need assistance] is sometimes too much trouble. So while I do shop in my local store, most of the purchases are on-line.
                    Susan

Comment

Susan please don't think I was being critical, online shopping isn't the problem, it's the large chain stores that are closing our LQS, the likes of Joanne's and here its Spotlight. Shopping online is still from a quilt store, mostly. I'm sorry the lights give you such trouble, I have a friend with the same problem, even I have trouble with them when they decide to flicker and I don't have epilepsy, flouros are nasty things. I also have problems with the super high pitch whistle that some of them emit.
                      Lynn

Comment

I usually shop online too...but only purchase marked down fabric or use coupons for percentages off. However, lately, I have noticed a sales pattern. Some of the shops are raising their "back when prices were low" to the NOW prices and then putting them "on sale" for the former price. I would have not noticed this had I not been surfing the web and shopping locally for months hoping for a sale. I usually will not buy from these merchants. I know that in these times we all need extra, but....
                        GlendaSue
                        I hope to outlive my stash.

Comment

I have bought fabric only once online, and that was just a sold black (from MSQC). I've always wondered how the colors in the photos compare with the actual fabric once you get it. Do you ladies just buy for your stash, or when you buy are you putting together fabric for a quilt?
                          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Hi everyone! Great question!
                            I rarely buy online unless something really grabs me. I have the opportunity to buy from quilt shops in Lancaster - some are pricey (current new prices), lots are discounted. I usually hit the discounted shops - they are all fabric only shops so I am doing my part to keep them in business. I only stop at Joann's anymore to get my batting with a coupon. I don't make that much an hour so I have to think how many hours I want to work to afford such and such these days. With EVERYTHING going up, it wouldn't be easy for me to justify spending $10. something a yard on fabric - even if it is my love.
                            I usually 'shop' my stash first, then shop at the stores if there is something or particular shade of color that I need. I will probably be working on my long list of UFO's for the rest of this year though so unless I see something I MUST have while I am out at a quilt show like the one coming up in Hershey at the end of July, I won't be making any special trips or looking online to buy 'just because'.
                            Hugs,
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Lynn, don't worry I didn't think you were being critical. I am fine about my epilepsy and have had it for 23 years now. This is the hand that I was dealt and have found many people with the same problem. I believe it has enabled me to see things from a different perspective.

I personally only shop at JoAnn's for the batting. Purchasing fabric online is a chore. The pictures distort the colors and I rely on the description to give me an idea of the actual color. I also put notations in the "comments" section of the order form as to what color/shade I am looking for and if the item is not that color could they please call me. You'd be surprised how nice these shops are to call me with the information.

Quilters are the best!!!! I have never found a more honest, compassonite group.
                              Susan

Comment

Working...
                              X