sewing feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sewing feet

How many of you use a Binding foot to sew on quilt the quilt binding? Who uses a Open toe quilting foot or a quilting free motion foot? Are those the same? I also see a 1/4 inch foot. I was just looking at extra feet I can purchase for my machine and I'm wondering if I should get them. I'm a new quilter and don't know

Re: sewing feet

I have a 1/4" foot and am totally dependent on it. (I have a Janome) If an open toe quilting foot is also called a walking foot I have that, too. I use it when I have lots of layers. The other one you mentioned, I do not have or know what they are. Probably the more experienced quilters could give you advice. I have only been quilting a couple of years and am still learning. Good luck!

Comment

I have a 1/4 inch foot and a walking foot. I also have the foot for free motion quilting. It's called a darning foot (open toe) on the packaging. I use all of them regularly, especially the 1/4 inch foot. It has helped a lot with my piecing. My machine is a Janome.
      Shelia

Comment

Janome here too...I think I have just about all the feet made for my machine, but only use 4 of them. The 1/4 inch foot is a must for quilting, I use the Stitch in the ditch foot and the walking foot when I quilt small projects and I have the darning foot foot for FMQ on small projects. (I send out my larger projects for quilting) i'm not even sure what the other feet do....or why I bought them! LOL
        ~Mary
        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I have added more feet since + have some coming in soon... For quilting I love the darning foot, the see through and of course the 1/4" one. I have the walking foot as well.

*hugs*
          Last edited by Emmari; May 27, 2011, 05:42 AM.
          Fabric purchases require no justification!
          A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Hi

I also have a Janome and I use the 1/4" foot, the walking foot and the free motion quilting foot. I do have some others but not sure what they are for! lol

Comment

I use the quarter inch, occasionally use the walking foot for thick stuff and have the free motion one but must admit I am not good at FM - need lots more practice.
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I would not quilt without my 1/4 inch foot & walking foot. I have a Bernina 200 and a Husqvarna Sapphire, for the Husqvarna I have a 1/4 foot with guide and I think I am going to buy one for my Bernina as well I really like it. Both walking feet have different soles you can use, one is closed, open and also one with a guide for stitching in the ditch.
                JVO

Comment

I am not an expert by any means but I do have a bit of experience quilting. I do not use a Binding foot as I have a binding technique that I prefer that does not call for that foot. I have used it in the past and they are nice, I simply perfer my binding technique.

A open toe quilting foot is not the same as a free motion foot. The Open Toe quilting foot with the spring action allows you to see your sewing area without a plate covering any of the fabric, this makes it easier to follow a pattern that has been transfered to the fabric or to just generally see where you are quilting.

There is a Open Toe foot that does not have a spring action that is used for is used for satin and decorative stitches (at least on my machine).

On my machine, the difference between the Open Toe Quilting foot and a Free Motion foot (that also has a spring action to it) is that the free motion has a plate that keeps the fabric a bit more under control. In my opinion, both work fine for machine quilting.

The 1/4 inch foot is a wonderful foot for piecing and seaming your quilt blocks. I use the 1/4 inch foot at times, but I am fortunate to have a gauged needle plate that I would be lost without.

I like having the different feet for my machine - love the ruffler and zipper foot btw, and a walking foot is really nice. I don't know who figured out all the different feet, but I am sure glad they did!

Comment

I called to see just how much it would cost to buy a 1/4 inch foot and they told me $29.99, What! I'll just use my 1/4 mark on my sewing plate.
                    I felt like I was asking for a part for a car. That's a lot for a foot. I remember when they were 5.00
                    and now a huge jump starting at 29.99 to $80.00 that is not inc.the walking foot price. That's a lot for a piece of plastic
                    or metal no bigger than your thumb nail. I also wanted the foot for sewing on vinyl and that's another 20.00 and I didn't
                    even ask about the free motion foot. I said thank you and then felt very discouraged about quilting.

Comment

I have purchased several feet for my machine but use the 1/4" foot mainly for piecing my blocks. The walking foot is used for putting the rows together, stitch-in-the-ditch, putting my binding on, etc. My open toe foot handles all my free motion quilting. So the rest of the feet that came with my Bernina or I purchased don't get used.
                      Susan

Comment

Have you tried Amazon? They have some sewing machine accessories. If I find something I want but don't want to pay the price at the time I put it in a wish list or the cart on the site and check on my Amazon page and it lists if it goes down in price.
                        Last edited by Texsam; May 27, 2011, 09:33 PM.
                        Shelia

Comment

I'm new to quilting but do have a 1/4" foot. I was surprised at the price of accessories when this foot was required for my first quilting class. I bought it and love it. It is the most used accessory I have for my machine.

Comment

If your machine is compatible with the Distinctive set for quilting ( linked ) you can buy it at Amazon for 50 dollars, or the individual feet for 10, 12 etc Just use the contact form and ask.

Hugs from Eva Mari
                            Fabric purchases require no justification!
                            A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

I love all those feet and would not try to sew without them. I have been sewing since the age of ten and still need the little extra that those feet give me. I especially love the stitch in a ditch foot. I use it for top stitching as well - just line up the fabric close to the "plow" and move the needle over and away I go with perfect topstitching. I tried three different darning feet before finding the one that works for me and my Free Motions style. And of course I would not try to sew blocks together without my quarter inch foot. By the way, you need to measure to be sure your quarter inch foot is truly a quarter inch - -I have to move my needle just a hair to get a true quarter inch out of it.
                              Nancy Wilkins
                              My Blog
                              My Pinterest
                              My Etsy Store

Comment

Working...
                              X