How about a fun survey....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a fun survey....

As you all know by now.... I'm always begging for advice from the wonderful quilters here. Maybe you can answer my questions ..... before I ask them ... with this:

What are your favorite quilting tips.... what do you do or what have you learned... that makes you a better quilter, or at least a 'not so frustrated' quilter??

I'm really curious to read your advice.
    Thanks in advance...

My answer: I have learned .... the hard way.... through many, many mistakes and countless seam ripping sessions..... to try very hard to slow down as I sew. When I do that, I find my seams are much more consistently a scant 1/4".
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: How about a fun survey....

Good question Mia, I will be looking forward to the other responses.
    I think I became a better when I slowed down alittle and paid attention to the 1/4" seams myself. Also, pressing and sometimes using starch helped me alot. Another tip is I stopped striving for something perfect with everything step of the way and putting so much pressure on myself that it was no longer fun. Anyone other than another quilter won't even notice as they are so busy being amazed at what you have created!
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

When something doesn't come together the way it should, I just walk away from it. Let it sit and when I come back it usually goes OK. I've come too close to ruining something trying"one more time".
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have 2!
        When sewing triangles (which I have found that I usually avoid quilts with triangles in them anymore) - I used to start at the tip of the triangle when sewing it and they would invariably get all bunched up in the presser foot area. Now, I start in the middle and sew down to the end. Take it off, flip it around and sew from the middle out to the other end - (I do start a few stitches back to sew over the first couple of stitches from the first stitches I put in so the stitches overlap in the middle so they don't come out). That way, those rascally triangles don't get all chewed up anymore.
        Also, don't put off a quilt project because the directions sound like there is no way the block or project will turn out the way it tells you. I put off my sisters 4 Patch Posey quilt and those really easy pillowcases for awhile because of that. If the pattern really does through you for a loop - grab some scrap fabric and practice on that first. If it doesn't turn out - nothing lost. If it does turn out, you have an extra pillowcase or block for someone else!
        Good question Mia!
        Hugs,
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I love the previous tips on slowing down and pressing. I always use a "gentle hand" when I press and try to think about how the seams are going to butt up when I press.

Here are a couple of other tips I've found useful: #1: measure twice, cut once! I can't tell you how many times I've miss cut my fabric and had to start over again. So now I always double check before I actually cut. #2: when I'm looking for a really accurate block (which is what I want), I oversize my triangle squares and then size them down.
          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

What have I learned here? Everything! And still learning. But mostly, slow down and be brave. Just because it looks like a hard block give it a look anyway. It may not be that difficult once to actually read the directions/pattern.
            ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Great survey question, Mia and great responses! You all offer so much to learn. In addition to some of the things already mentioned, one thing I have learned is to 'just dive in" (as in no procrastinating) with a particular project. Sometimes I spend too much time 'researching' that I don't get the time to quilt! Another biggie is there is no such thing as perfection. DH always says "if you want perfection, go to a store and buy a factory made quilt...with tons of others exactly like it". Have fallen back on that advice often when I pick out my quilting flaws. For me it is important to enjoy the process as well as being excited about the end result.

Comment

What I have learned the hard way, besides all of the above is, if you buy fabric for a project that you aren't getting to right away, put all the fabric together with the pattern or something to indicate what you had in mind. I sometimes can't remember what I was thinking by the time I get home.

Comment

i dont know much because i am so new/ out of date so i feel brand new. i quilted 35 years ago and hadnt done any more till a few months ago. So.......... i have learned everything but mostly......to trust myself! That is my best tip. It may not look right, might not look possible, may not be believable but then suddenly when this has been put to that and that has been put to this... good lord it does work!

And do you know what..... if it doesnt look EXACTLY like the pattern or the tutorial (thats unusal) i have found that mistakes can become something lovely quite by accident. The other day i did something and i sooooooooooo liked what had happened that i went with what i had done wrong lol

So thats my tip................trust yourself, there are no mistakes, only variations Hey that sounds dead profound, i must write that down somewhere.......

Oh! one more tip. when all else fails there is always chocolate cake and a rest. Even 'variations' arent the end of the world after chocolate cake.
                  Blog
                  http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Read your instructions carefully, even twice, then cut and sew. Take your time, even one night sleep helps and then there is always your friend "Jack the Ripper".

Quilting and patchworking should be fun and stay fun!! As well as all the other crafts.
                    sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

You are all so ..... so creative and so smart. These are excellent tips and thanks for participating. I hope we'll get lots more replies.

I am still making mistakes because of rushing .... especially when cutting.... that just won't work. Slow down.... take your time...... read your instructions..... don't expect total perfection and enjoy the product of your imagination.... and eat chocolate cake. What great advice!!!!
                      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                      Mia

Comment

I found that when I sew triangles or HST, if I lay the tip of the fabric on a small scrap of paper (coffee filters work great!) before I slip it under the needle, the tip doesnt get sucked into the machine and the paper tears away easily without pulling on the threads and distorting the piece.
                        ~Mary
                        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I have learned to be very VERY careful with a stitch ripper. They easily and unnoticably go through the back of the fabric and cut the fabric too.

Also, replace your seam ripper when it gets dull. You are more likely to rip your fabric due to frustration when using a dull ripper. Have a sharp one, and be careful when you use it.

Also, press gently. I have been know a time or two to IRON my fabric right out of shape rather than just pressing the seam. It's really hard to break the IRONING habit, but you really need to.

Heather
                          🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

My Tip: use good quality cotton fabric. It is so much easier to work with..plus it keeps it's shape better. 2. Keep your scissors/roller blades sharp. 3. Clean your machine daily. It makes alot of difference when you start off with a clean, well oiled machine. So at the end of a days worth of sewing, I will clean!!
                            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                            :icon_wave:

Comment

Oh Heather...... me tooo. I've had to really be careful when pressing so that I don't distort the square with too much pressure or too much tugging.
                              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                              Mia

Comment

Working...
                              X