Iron 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron 911

I have a very expensive Rowenta iron that has developed a serious problem with incontinence. This thing is only a couple years old and leaks like a sieve. In trying to get help to solve this problem, I've come to learn this is a very common complaint with Rowenta and I have two options 1.) don't use steam or 2.) buy a new iron.

I am retired and don't have a lot of money but I also don't mind paying for quality if the product does a good job and has a long life...which is why the Rowenta was such a disappointment.

Can you tell me what iron you use and share any advice you might have for what to look for in a iron?
    It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out.

Re: Iron 911

Cheapest you could do is use the Rowenta without steam as you said, and get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Spritz as you need it. I've been doing it this way for years.

Comment

I have a Reliance that I love and recently added an Euro-steam. Both are pricey, but worth every penny. The first is a very good iron and the second is an excellent steamer! I can wear out a Rowenta in a couple of months and although at one time it was my favorite......it hasn't been for years because of the leaks and drips.

Comment

Just bought a new iron a few days ago because my Rowenta developed the same problem, but it turns out some gasket cracked in mine while it was in storage during our move, if froze and cracked I did get another Rowenta.
        Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

Mine is an Electrolux steam iron. I have had it for over three years. It turns itself off and does not spit.
          "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
          Hillary Clinton

Comment

I also have a Rowenta and my owner's manual said NOT to use distilled water in it because it will cause the iron to sputter and leak. You might want to check the kind of water you are using. If this doesn't work, you can do what Denis suggested above.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have an Oliso and I LOVE it. Sadly the cat knocked it to the floor so it has to be repaired. My old $20 iron that was 20 years old got dropped a lot and not so much as a scratch so I'm not sure they are really very strongly built...but then you're not supposed to drop them after all! I've had it about a year and really like it...but then I've only been quilting about a year. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                I also have a Rowenta and my owner's manual said NOT to use distilled water in it because it will cause the iron to sputter and leak. You might want to check the kind of water you are using. If this doesn't work, you can do what Denis suggested above.
                LOL - my old Rowenta leaked when I used distilled water!
                My new one works great and I just use tap water!

I agree with Denis, the best/cheapest option would be a spray bottle with water and keep using your current iron!
                Happy Quilting!

Comment

I have a panasonic cordless iron and LOVE it. It gets hot quick , steam like a locomotive and was under 60 bucks. Best investment ever.
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

I truly believe that the Rowenta irons leak because the owners don't read the instructions and use the wrong type of water in it. I've had my Rowenta for about 5 years and no issues with leaking. I read my manual and only use the recommended type of water. If I was in your shoes, I would just use it dry and use a spray bottle. The Rowentas have some very desirable features (weight, temperature, etc) that make them worth the cost; treat them like they cost a lot of money and they will last a long time!

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

I use the Oliso got mine on sale at Joanne fabric and love it. Saw in Jenny's tutorials and thought it was great.
                      Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

I have used a Rowenta for years. My mother had one, my aunt has one, both of my sons have them....and the oldest son is in the Navy and is sooo picky about the press on his uniform..swears by the weight of the Rowenta for pressing.

I had problems with one of my Rowentas piddling...So I threatened it with surgery for bad bladders. That took care of that problem! I would love to have a Oliso, but it will have to wait awhile. For now I will love my Rowenta and it's weight. My biggest complaint is the way that it sucks water...gosh!
                        Home is where your mother is..........;)

Comment

My Rowenta Focus 1700W has never been dropped or anything and I only use tap water per the instructions but it started with a small leak a few months ago and now it puddles and water will drain from the botton if held at a 45 degree angle. The iron says it was made in Germany but the box says it was made in China so I don't know what to think.

I am currently using the dry setting with a spray bottle of water but I miss the steam. Haven't decided yet whether to keep the one I have (with growing resentment for what I paid for it) or buy a new one but your comments and insights have been very helpful. Thank you!
                          It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out.

Comment

I just had this very problem! My Rowenta was prob 15 y/o however, and so it's elderly incontinence was excused. I used the spray bottle method for a while, but broke down and bought a new Rowenta (which is used for large/clothes pressing) For piecing, I have a cheap, small $10 iron that can stay on all day w/o problem.
                            Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.:icon_hi:

Comment

I tried several irons before I found one. I finally settled on the Black and Decker Digital iron ........about $50 on Amazon.com. It gives out lots of steam and gets HOT! I love it the only complaint is that the cord could have been longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X