Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good stitch length for machine quilting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stitch length for machine quilting?

My sisters quilt is sandwiched (uhg) and I am about to start quilting it. I am doing straight line stitching only. What is a good stitch length to set? I tried to google it and the first thing I came to was 6 to 10 stitches per inch??? My machine only goes to five? And what about the stitch width?! I just realised that I had it set to 3.5...is this normal?

TIA! Xox

Re: Good stitch length for machine quilting?

Nevermind! I did a search and found it! Love this forum! Xox

Comment

Stitch width only matters if you are doing a zig zag or some other type of stitch other than straight. Stitch length on a sewing machine is not determined by stitch per inch, so the whole 6 to 10 and your machine only going up to 5 doesn't matter either.

When straightline machine quilting I usually set mine on 3 or at the most 3.5. That's longer than what I use to piece because you don't want your quilting stitches so tight.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Huh, I always left mine at what the machine sets it at. 2.5 I think. I'll have to make it longer for the next quilt top I'm sandwiching, to see if there is a big difference for me.

Comment

Mine is automatically set at 2.5....but often that is so small... I can't rip out seams when needed! I try to remember to set it at 3 but often forget, but I try.
          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I set mine to 3 although once 3.5, 3 looks better.
            ​Robyn

Comment

I like 3.0 better, too.

Comment

I always machine quilt at 3 or even 3.5. 2.5 is too tight a stitch for that many layers, in my opinion.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I guess it is also related to the thickness of the batting and the closeness of the quilting lines. As I use mostly poly batting (it is the easiest to find round here and my recipients prefer lofty quilts) I try to get a stitch length of about 1/8" so I set it on 3.0 or 3.5. That is also what I aim for while FMQing, but this is way another story.

Comment

Working...
                  X