Large quilting designs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large quilting designs ?

How do you go about quilting a large quilt with a design, like flowers, leaves etc ? Do you use a template? How do you fit a design to a quilt size? Do you mark the pattern on the whole quilt or work a section at a time?
    I have only ever quilted in straight lines on a quilt, and the free motion I have have been practising is just going around in squiggles
    Is it even possible to do this on a domestic machine? Thank you
    Newbies will eventually become oldies :icon_wave:

Re: Large quilting designs ?

Lilyjo....I would guess that each quilter does their technique differently. It would depend on whether they hand quilt or machine quilt. Those that own long arms have more area to work with.
    I hand quilt, so I work a section at a time. I do use templates and lines (with my rulers).....
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Someone just posted a cute quilt not to long ago that used templates. Some have even posted about using cookie cutters.There is a long thread about it somewhere.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I am fairly new to FMQ but I wanted a big design on an Autumn quilt. I found color book drawings of leaves online, printed them, glued them to cardboard, cut them out and then traced around the leaf shape with a fixion pen. I traced of the entire quilt sandwich first then did my FMQ starting in the center. I did some veining in the leaves by eye. I was quite pleased with how it turned out.
        Once the quilt is washed my FMQ looks acceptable, you can't see the multiple boo boos at all.
        I do tend to use printed fabric on the backs which also hides the mistakes well.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
          I am fairly new to FMQ but I wanted a big design on an Autumn quilt. I found color book drawings of leaves online, printed them, glued them to cardboard, cut them out and then traced around the leaf shape with a fixion pen. I traced of the entire quilt sandwich first then did my FMQ starting in the center. I did some veining in the leaves by eye. I was quite pleased with how it turned out.
          Once the quilt is washed my FMQ looks acceptable, you can't see the multiple boo boos at all.
          I do tend to use printed fabric on the backs which also hides the mistakes well.
          What a great idea!!!
          Mary
          SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I also use templates , coloring pages downloaded or any simple type drawing I can get. Just print enough to do the area you want. Ex with the leaves enough scattered to look nicely covered. I have also used cookie cutters to trace a design just repeat as often as needed . I use a frixion pen so it irons off. Once washed gorgeous. In this way you can customize your FMQ to the quilt. Makes it very special and unique.
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, something for me to ponder on while I get the quilt top finished. I'm going to have to get the frixion pens I think, they sound good.
              Newbies will eventually become oldies :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
              X