Starch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starch

Do you all use a lot of spray starch when piecing? If so, what is your favorite kind? I use a lot, especially when using small pieces but I hardly see anyone mention it on here. Makes me think I'm doing it all wrong!

Re: Starch

I use it! I usually buy the cheap stuff at Walmart (Niagara). I have a bottle of regular starch that I intend to dilute and put in a spray bottle. I haven't tried that yet. I also have used Mary Ellen's, but it is pretty pricey. Others on here have posted their own recipes, too.

I would also add that if you starch your fabrics (and I heavily starch my backing, whether I starch any of the top or not) you should thoroughly wash your quilt after finishing it. Starch left in fabric is attractive to bugs and other critters that like to eat fabric.
    Last edited by dwil23; April 20, 2014, 02:17 AM.
    Donna

Comment

I use Blondies recipe for homemade starch . I love it and how I can change the scent.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I use Best Press, Bounce Ironing Spray and Niagra Heavy Starch. Niagra now has a 'professional' spray in a pump bottle. I saw it at WalMart but haven't tried it yet.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I do use it and I make my own. It costs just pennies a batch, is super easy to make, works great and it doesn't harm you or the environment. If you would like to try it . . .

Dissolve 1 tsp to 1 tablespoon (depending on how stiff you want your fabric to be - I use about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons myself) cornstarch in a little room temperature water. Stir in 1 cup boiling water and stir for 1 minute. Add 1 cup cool (not cold) water and stir another minute. When cool enough to handle, pour into spritzer bottle.

Shake before each use and throw any leftovers away after 1 week. Without preservatives it will not last longer, but that's okay. This literally costs about 4 cents a batch, so no worries if you have to throw a bit away.
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
            I use Blondies recipe for homemade starch . I love it and how I can change the scent.
            Where can I find Blondie's recipe?

Comment

I've been using StaFlo liquid starch, mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with water and works great. I recently tried some spray sizing. Its about a $1 a can at Walmart and Dollar General. I use a lot of starch/sizing. Can't put my finger on why, but I think I might like the sizing a little better.

Comment

I use starch depending on fabric and pattern. For example if I do a strip set and then cut blocks from it. I buy any local brand that is on sale. I always wash any quilt I used starch on as soon as finished. I live in a buggy place.
                "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                Hillary Clinton

Comment

This may be an odd question but why do use starch?
                  Mary :icon_popcorn:

Comment

Makes fabric easier to handle and makes it stretch less,

Comment

I use the spray sizing from Walmart. A dollar a can is just too good to pass up. It doesn't gunk up my iron like starch does.

Comment

What is the difference between spray starch and spray sizing? I've been using the Niagara spray starch with the gold lid. I've found it doesn't leave white flakes on the fabric as much as the regular kind (I know they wash off but seeing them on the fabric as I'm working with it drives me crazy). I also wash a quilt 2-3 times after it's done and before I give it to its new owner to be loved.
                        Does Best Press make the fabric really stiff? I've seen it before but thought the pump bottle would be a hassle. The aerosol is easier, although sometimes it drips.

Comment

I use spray sizing instead of starch..I've read that it doesn't attract bugs like starch might.
                          *~* Myrna *~*
                          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

The Amish women nearby make starch using vodka...at least that is what the SAY they are buying the vodka for... I use Best Press all the way through the project because it takes me a while to finish each quilt, I usually only sew on Saturdays while doing laundry. I will add that when i was watching Mariann Fons on the recent Eleanore Burns video she said she starches and irons fabric before cutting it. I made a baby quilt last week doing that and I did like the results when cutting up the layer cake I was using.

Comment

I'm cheap I use starch too, the one that says no flakes. I tried best press and did not see what the fuss was about.

Comment

Working...
                              X