Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions :)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions :)

    Geesh, I need help with these fabrics. I have 5 different flannel prints and minkee for the backing here.

    The backing is the turtle print I have 1.5 yards of that. The Kites 1 yard, Balloons 1.5 yards, Clouds 1 yard, Duckies 2 yards (they are so cute) and Hot Air Balloons 1.5 yards.

    My nephew will be here (born) in a few more weeks but I have very little time cause of work and family stuff so I need help with a quick pattern. Should I just do a take 5 pattern? Any other suggestions, I really appreciate your help!! Tomorrow is when I can start working on it so fingers crossed its something I can do!

    P1130645.jpgP1130642.jpg
    Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

    #2
    Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

    Hmm, first easy pattern that comes to mind is just 5" squares and moving them one over every row so that the fabrics make a diagonal downward line (uhm, does that make sense?). Or how about a disappearing 9 patch (see here: Valentine Quiltworks: Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt or Jenny's tutorial)? Or a chevron quilt using HSTs?

    Cute fabric BTW!

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

      Originally posted by Cat77 View Post
      Hmm, first easy pattern that comes to mind is just 5" squares and moving them one over every row so that the fabrics make a diagonal downward line (uhm, does that make sense?). Or how about a disappearing 9 patch (see here: Valentine Quiltworks: Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt or Jenny's tutorial)? Or a chevron quilt using HSTs?

      Cute fabric BTW!
      Maybe i should keep it simple with using squares the way you suggested I do like the idea
      Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

        Sorry...I'm too much of a newbie to suggest anything...but I really love those fabrics! The first quilt I did was a baby quilt....I think I have a pic of it in my profile...just rectangles sewn into strips and then quilted in diamonds. Easy peasy.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

          This is my 'go-to' for baby quilts. And you have plenty of fabric!
          Sometimes it's better to keep it simple...

          GourmetQuilter - because quilting is delicious! ? Freebies
          I really need to get off the exclamation point.
          It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

            Originally posted by Cat77 View Post
            Hmm, first easy pattern that comes to mind is just 5" squares and moving them one over every row so that the fabrics make a diagonal downward line (uhm, does that make sense?). Or how about a disappearing 9 patch (see here: Valentine Quiltworks: Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt or Jenny's tutorial)? Or a chevron quilt using HSTs?

            Cute fabric BTW!
            The easiest way to do this is to cut 5 inch strips. Sew all them together, even the first and the last, so you have a tube. Slice the tube into 5 inch slices. You will be cutting across all the seams. Then you rip out one seam in each slice, but moving around the slice so you separate a different pair of fabrics each time. Then when you sew the strips together you will get the stepping stone pattern.
            Quilters never die, they just go batts.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

              I'm a visual person. I don't follow the 5" strips/tube suggestion. It's seems like a simple Disappearing 9-Patch would be easier. You can still sew fabric in 5" strips to save time, but cut them in 5" widths, then mix them up. No seam ripping required. JCY

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

                you could always do an eye spy quilt.
                :icon_wave:Joan

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

                  I just did 5 baby quilts my new quick pattern is 5 inch blocks sewn together. I used charm packs so 42 in a 6x7 layout but then I did 2 rows and insert a 6 x width of quilt strip then 5 more rows. I appliquéd on the strip but also used a print on one. Then bordered. You could throw some solid squares in to match to. Super cute fabric!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

                    Originally posted by tesspug View Post
                    The easiest way to do this is to cut 5 inch strips. Sew all them together, even the first and the last, so you have a tube. Slice the tube into 5 inch slices. You will be cutting across all the seams. Then you rip out one seam in each slice, but moving around the slice so you separate a different pair of fabrics each time. Then when you sew the strips together you will get the stepping stone pattern.

                    Eleanor Burns call this method "Trip around the World" and has several tutorials. She uses narrower strips, but you can make them any size you want and I think with the scale of your fabrics, I would use at least 5"

                    Be sure to post the finished quilt!
                    Donna

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

                      I like Cat's suggestion or you could do one like this

                      squares.jpg
                      🌺 Lorie

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

                        Originally posted by stationarymom View Post
                        you could always do an eye spy quilt.
                        Great idea and perfect for a little one.
                        Karen
                        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

                          Here is one I saved I think Cat77 was saying
                          Tiny Trails Baby Quilt | FaveQuilts.com
                          Gale

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Help! I have brainfreeze and need suggestions

                            Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            I like Cat's suggestion or you could do one like this

                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]73846[/ATTACH]
                            Originally posted by grma33 View Post
                            Here is one I saved I think Cat77 was saying
                            Tiny Trails Baby Quilt | FaveQuilts.com
                            Gale
                            Alright.... I like both of these ideas! It is going to be one of these. I think I am leaning towards doing a trail of charms You guys are awesome and the picture that you posted Lorie is one I would like to do too!

                            Thanks!!
                            Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X