Log cabin quilt block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log cabin quilt block

I made a log cabin quilt block out of honey buns( like the ones from Jenny's tut). When I made my quilt blocks, they didn't come out square....I don't know what I did wrong. Is this supposed to happen?

Re: Log cabin quilt block

Are they wonky or rectangular? Wonky? Seams aren't straight or pressing distorted them. Rectangular? Not an even number of logs on each side. That would be my guess, from someone who never did a log cabin block! So take this advice with a grain of salt!

Comment

I never did one either. But I know a lot of people say to square off after anyway. I can't help much but maybe a picture would help. Maybe it's not as bad as you think.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

image.jpgThey aren't wonky, they sewed together fine, but I found I really like putting together a log cabin block and am wondering what I need to do differently next time. They ended up 7x8 finished.

Sorry it's upside down.

Comment

Looks to me like you have an extra white strip. The number should be the same on each side of the center red square.

That small white block right next to the center red starts the count at 1 .... hope that makes sense!

Comment

It makes sense. The extra white strip that you see is where I have sewn the block to another block. All sides go out 4, when calling the smaller inside squares 1.
            Last edited by jennyann; April 19, 2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I think you have one extra white strip there. I haven't made one correctly yet myself either, but I think you only add 3 layers of each onto the center square. I see 4 white strips to the right of the center square, and only 3 dark strips to the left of the center square.
              But that's just what I think. As I said, I haven't made a successful one yet either, but now that I think about it, I think that's what I did wrong.

Looks great though.

Comment

So, just wondering, is your original question answered? That extra strip would account for the extra inch!

As a double check I count the corners that have the same tone of strip. There should be 3. In the photo posted the block itself should have 3 dark colors and only 1 white. If there are 2 of each color I know I'm missing a strip!
                Last edited by Judy, USMC; April 19, 2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                  Looks to me like you have an extra white strip. The number should be the same on each side of the center red square.

That small white block right next to the center red starts the count at 1 .... hope that makes sense!
                  Is that small square white block even supposed to be there? It is rectangular right from the start. There should only be one square in it, not two.

Comment

I used jenny tutorial. She had 2 small squares... It was one of her first tutorials that didn't go through the entire process of building the block. Now I am totally confused.

Comment

you sewed top- bottom- side-side you should be sewing top-side-bottom-side in a circle around the first square. I think in doing it the way you did you put an extra log on one side.
                      there are 2 squares in the center. the white square is the first log
                      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by jennyann View Post
                        I used jenny tutorial. She had 2 small squares... It was one of her first tutorials that didn't go through the entire process of building the block. Now I am totally confused.
                        So think of it this way. If you want to make it square, you build out on the four sides of the square. It does not matter what size the square is. Building out will make your block square.

But if you put two squares together, then build on that, you are building out on a rectangle shape, and will end up with a rectangle. From all the log cabin blocks I've seen, they only have one square in the middle. I'll look at Jenny's tutorial on this block and check back with you.

Comment

HowStuffWorks "Log Cabin Quilt Block"

look at this page. it shows the layout of a log cabin
                          Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

It should work with the small white block ... this is how the block should look :
                            colored log cabin.jpg

And this is how it looks using a large center block. The first strip would be the same width as all the other logs.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Judy, USMC; April 19, 2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help!! I understand my problem! I know what to do next time. I did not go around the block. Blonde moment, I guess. Now I will have to try it again the correct way. My quilt has been put together and I will not be ripping it out!image.jpg

Now one of the hardest things to figure out... How to quilt it!!
                              Last edited by jennyann; April 19, 2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X