Hexi ruler vs. Binding tool for braids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hexi ruler vs. Binding tool for braids

I have a question. Can the half hexi ruler be interchanged with the binding tool for braid columns? They each use a different angle of cut, half hexi is a 60 degree angle and binding tool is 45 degree angle. I've only used the 45 degree templates for a braid, didn't know the half hexi could be used. Wouldn't that really make a big difference in how the braid looks?

Re: Hexi ruler vs. Binding tool for braids

Jenny did a tute on that. I thought you would of known that. hee hee The 10" Half Hexagon Quilting Ruler for Layer Cakes - YouTube

I did'nt buy my template here because I got a set from Nancy's notions. I think there is four maybe five sizes. I took a chance it wasn't to flimsy. It's okay.

The dd would look nice in a braid. hmmm
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

The small half hexi works fine for braids. As a matter of fact I never even thought about the difference in angles between it and the binding tool. I have a quilt someplace that I used the half hexi on the braid. If I can find it later today I'll take a picture for you. To me the blades are just shorter than when you use the binding tool.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

oh you were talking about the small one? This is the set I bought w/out the dvd Grandmother's One-Patch - Quilting - Rulers & Templates - Supplies - Nancy's Notions
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have seen quilts done with both, so I guess it depends on the angle you want.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

In the 1800 series of Fons & Porters "Love of Quilting" shows they demo using their hexi ruler to make a braid quilt, so yes, you shouldn't have any problem doing it, too. (I was excited about this and my DH gave me their hexi ruler for Christmas this past year)
            When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I have a pic in my albums of a quilt top I did with the small half hexi.
              sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Well, Lorie is right! I should have known! I just have never done one with the half hexi, and a lot of people have been talking about making braids with either. It came to my mind that they wouldn't look the same because the angles are different, but I didn't remember the tutorial. Hey, Lori, give me a break! There are dozens of tutorials, and some are quite old!

Comment

No breaks. lol I bought the dd after I thought about how pretty it would look in that pattern. But I will probably change my mind when I get it. lol
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                    No breaks. lol I bought the dd after I thought about how pretty it would look in that pattern. But I will probably change my mind when I get it. lol
                    I love the DD too! Looks like about three other pretty layer cakes I have in my stash, unused and no inspiration for them!

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                      The small half hexi works fine for braids. As a matter of fact I never even thought about the difference in angles between it and the binding tool. I have a quilt someplace that I used the half hexi on the braid. If I can find it later today I'll take a picture for you. To me the blades are just shorter than when you use the binding tool.
                      Ummm Im about to show off my "dumbness" but PLEASE explain "braids " I have not heard of this before and it sounds fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                        I have a question. Can the half hexi ruler be interchanged with the binding tool for braid columns? They each use a different angle of cut, half hexi is a 60 degree angle and binding tool is 45 degree angle. I've only used the 45 degree templates for a braid, didn't know the half hexi could be used. Wouldn't that really make a big difference in how the braid looks?
                        Look in my pictures and you can see the one I did with the small half hexi. It goes together fast!! Also, one jelly roll, that was it!!
                        Last edited by bubba; April 20, 2014, 12:41 AM.
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii Roxy View Post
                          Ummm Im about to show off my "dumbness" but PLEASE explain "braids " I have not heard of this before and it sounds fun!

Roxy there are two by Jenny and more on the net,

Make a Friendship Braid Quilt Using the Binding Tool - YouTube

Friendship Braid Quilt Idea Using Half Hex Ruler | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Here's another option if you don't have a special ruler.

Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!: Pioneer Braid Borders!

Sort of reminds me of a log cabin, only you're doing one side.
                            sigpic

Comment

That's a good tute too Vickie.

I can't decide if I like it better with or without sashing
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X