Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about these Hexagons

I just ordered these:

Plastic Hexagon English Paper Piecing Templates Grandmother's Flower Garden | eBay

I ordered the 1.5 inch ones. I have never made hexagons before. I am thinking that the 1.5 inch measurement refers to the length of a side rather than to the diameter, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if these would be a good size to use on charm squares or if that would waste too much fabric. The tutorial, which is here:

The Scrappy Appleyard: Hexagon Tutorial with PLASTIC TEMPLATES

says to fold over three-eighths of an inch of fabric on each side (rather than a fourth of an inch),

Has anyone used these plastic templates? I don't have a sewing room or a dedicated place to sew right now. I thought these might make a good hand-sewing project to do while watching TV.

Any comments or information (positive or negative) would be most appreciated!

sigpic
    Marci

Re: Questions about these Hexagons

I haven't used the plastic templates, but I have used home-made paper hexie templates (it was a small project). You're right, the sides are 1.5", not the diameter. I presume the plastic you bought can withstand the heat of an iron, because I think you need to iron down those edges. And hexies ARE a great hand project.

EDIT:I just viewed the tutorial--it was FANTASTIC. So I see you don't need an iron. <DING> And you should hold your hexies flat when you whip stitch. < DOUBLE DING> Wish I'd seen this before doing my little project because MY WHIP STITCHES SHOW.

I love the things we learn on this forum!
    Last edited by GuitarGramma; April 19, 2014, 09:26 AM.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I used plastic templates from Joann's for my hexis. They worked fine. They made 1 inch hexis, which used a 2.5" scrap of fabric.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I am excited to try them out. I have been collecting interesting fabric and I am going to use the hexagons to make a VERY scrappy quilt.

sigpic
        Marci

Comment

I have to second the recommendation to NOT whip stitch. I haven't made a hexi quilt, but I did hand-piece diamonds, and the tecnique is the same. I did hold my pieces back-to-back, but I used a ladder stitch, not a whip stitch. And none of my stitches show in my finished project.

LADDER-STITCH-1.jpg

Comment

I am in the middle of my 2nd EPP quilt. I purchase charm packs or fat quarters. With the charm you get 4 pieces. Also, for variety I have purchased the Mini's also. I use cardstock as it is wonderful that you can press the crispness back into the paper. In my experience I feel that when it comes to the stitching it all depends on the length, consistency and color of your thread. Remember to always go darker with the color if you can't match exact. Also, I do not baste the fabric. I use Sewline Glue and immediately press to set the glue. It manages to stay in place till I am ready to remove or should the fabric pop off of the paper I just re-glue.

Comment

Working...
            X