X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whites, whites, whites?

So many whites! Any opinions on different manufacturers whites

Re: Whites, whites, whites?

Yes! I purchased samples of every white MSQC carries, and photographed them. Please look in my user notes for the pictures.

From whitest white to light tan, I have photographed 9 different white/creams.

Brightest is the RJR Optical white, then Kona white, then Moda/Bella white, then Bella Porcelain. Kona snow and Bella snow are not at all the same, Kona snow is the perfect off white/ cream in my opinion, and goes with the most fabrics. Bella snow is really yellow and is much darker. It is very confusing when trying to choose!

Comment

Thank You Jean for this reply. I usually love the contrast of really white white but I need a creamy white for a project so that helps a lot. Another question - when do you use "white on white" versus the plain old white? Is it simply preference or are there parameters to choosing? Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly View Post
        Thank You Jean for this reply. I usually love the contrast of really white white but I need a creamy white for a project so that helps a lot. Another question - when do you use "white on white" versus the plain old white? Is it simply preference or are there parameters to choosing? Thanks so much!
        I would say use white on white when the design can use a little extra pop, and not interfere with your overall design. Some have reported that their white on white fabric was hard to sew on because the paint for the secondary white was thick, i haven't experienced this, but some of the white on white I've seen seems stiff, maybe that would cause sewing problems.

Comment

Thanks Jean Have gone for Kona Snow as I wanted it to be slightly retro. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Another possible problem with the white on white is the paint flaking off and messing up your machine. I used some on a quilt back and was surprised and unhappy with all the white powder in my bobbin area. It was not obvious on the backing that it lost any of the design but it sure was obvious in the machine, I won't use it again for a quilt back. I will have to say that this was fabric from Joanne, not a quilt shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
              Another possible problem with the white on white is the paint flaking off and messing up your machine. I used some on a quilt back and was surprised and unhappy with all the white powder in my bobbin area. It was not obvious on the backing that it lost any of the design but it sure was obvious in the machine, I won't use it again for a quilt back. I will have to say that this was fabric from Joanne, not a quilt shop.
              I couldn't remember who had posted this, but your experience was the one I was refering to.

Comment

My go to whites..are Kona Snow or Kona white.....both look great, sew great, and I like the fact that even on some occasions when I can't press to the dark side it seems ok when I use the Kona fabric.

Comment

If you have to press towards the white (sometimes you have to avoid too much thickness) then trim just a smidgen off the edge of the dark so that when you press towards the white, that the dark will be shorter and hopefully not noticeable.
                  Vonnie

Comment

My go-to white is also Kona Snow. I prefer "soft" white to bright white and Kona Snow is the best soft white shade I've found so far.
                    *~* Myrna *~*
                    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I bought a whole bolt of Kona snow last week while at MSQC. BOUGHT IT TO GO WITH HONEYBUN SASHINGS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                        I bought a whole bolt of Kona snow last week while at MSQC. BOUGHT IT TO GO WITH HONEYBUN SASHINGS.
                        What does a bolt cost?
                        May the road rise up to meet you...
                        May the wind be always at your back...
                        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Most bolts are 10 yds., but some are only 8 yds. Whatever the cost of the fabric per yd. x 8-10 yds. would be the cost. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                            Most bolts are 10 yds., but some are only 8 yds. Whatever the cost of the fabric per yd. x 8-10 yds. would be the cost. JCY
                            Thanks for the info. I was thinking maybe I'll buy a bolt of some kind of white, since I am using more of it. But on second thought that's way more yardage than I'll ever use. I would probably get tired of it long before I could use it up. Guess I'll just stick to buying 2-3 yards at a time.
                            Last edited by Quiltfreestyle; April 20, 2014, 09:31 PM.
                            May the road rise up to meet you...
                            May the wind be always at your back...
                            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Which ever white fits into my budget or I have a coupon for!
                              Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X