another pillow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another pillow question

So I finished the pillow front for my cathedral pillow. now I have to complete the Pillow!

I have done throws before but I normally seal them entirely. I would like to make this one so that the pillow form insert can be changed out when it goes flat. I don't really enjoy doing zippers and I think it would be difficult on this because of the edges. I'd like to do a pocket pillow like the one shown in the tutorial I used here:

.House. of A La Mode: Cathedral Windows - Part TWO!!

Can anyone share with me how to do that or do you know of a tutorial that would show me?

TIA! xox

Re: another pillow question

This one might be helpful: crazy mom quilts: how to make an envelope backed pillow

Comment

The envelope method in the above answer is how I have done pillows I know I am going to want to swap out.
      Debbie

Comment

Envelope style all the way!! Goes together so quickly and you don't have mess with a pesky zipper!!!

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Originally posted by Eliza View Post
          Perfect! Thanks!

Now my next dilemma...I have measured my pillow top and it's not square. uhg. 20 inches one way and 20.5 the other. The problem is that pillow forms are 20 inches and I'm also going to lose a half inch on the 20 inch side when I sew it together. Will it still fit a 20 inch pillow form? Is this going to be a problem? I can't trim my pillow top like she does with hers because it will wreck the cathedral look right?

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
            Perfect! Thanks!

Now my next dilemma...I have measured my pillow top and it's not square. uhg. 20 inches one way and 20.5 the other. The problem is that pillow forms are 20 inches and I'm also going to lose a half inch on the 20 inch side when I sew it together. Will it still fit a 20 inch pillow form? Is this going to be a problem? I can't trim my pillow top like she does with hers because it will wreck the cathedral look right?
            it will work just fine !!

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

It should be just fine ... it will be a fatter pillow is all. And thanks for that tutorial. I found one to do by hand, because I've always wanted to learn how to do a cathederal window, but I had not found this one. I have bookmarked it so I can add it to my "to do" list.

Can't wait to see pics of your finished pillow!
              My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Another thing you can do is put a zipper in the back rather than in the seam where you join the front and back. Place it low on the back, maybe an inch or inch and a half from the bottom and you will never see it.
                The sizing on pillows is the size of the actual pillow cover laid flat, when it puffs up not really ending up being 20". It will be very nice and full after your seam allowances are sewn.
                When I made these for customers I always went up a size on the form for a nice full pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                  Another thing you can do is put a zipper in the back rather than in the seam where you join the front and back. Place it low on the back, maybe an inch or inch and a half from the bottom and you will never see it.
                  The sizing on pillows is the size of the actual pillow cover laid flat, when it puffs up not really ending up being 20". It will be very nice and full after your seam allowances are sewn.
                  When I made these for customers I always went up a size on the form for a nice full pillow.
                  Oh! Perfect! Thanks! I wonder if I should do that...hmmm. I guess I will see. As for the zipper...yuk. lol! I've only ever done one and while it turned out okay, what a PAIN in the PATOOTIE!! Do NOT like zippers! LOL!

Comment

A zipper? No, no. no!
                    (Panic ensues)....
                    If you need to 'beef up' a pillow, use batting!
                    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

You will be fine using the 20" pillow form with your 20" quilt square, after your seam allowances your pillow will be smaller than the the pillow form which will make your finished pillow nice, full, and puffy. There will not be a problem stuffing the form into your cover either.

Comment

You will be fine using the 20" pillow form with your 20" quilt square, after your seam allowances your pillow will be smaller than the the pillow form which will make your finished pillow nice, full, and puffy. There will not be a problem stuffing the form into your cover either.
                        Perfect! Thanks! Now I have to wait until payday again! uhg! lol Then my fabric shopping spree will be done for a while.

Comment

I use the envelope method.

Don't forget to "fix" your corners:
                          Correcting Your Pillow Pattern To Avoid Pointy Corners | Life's Sweet Essentials

Comment

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
                            I use the envelope method.

Don't forget to "fix" your corners:
                            Correcting Your Pillow Pattern To Avoid Pointy Corners | Life's Sweet Essentials
                            Thanks! I will surely keep this in mind.

Comment

Ok..rather than starting another thread I'm going to try and keep my questions all in one place so I can refer back to the answers in one spot! THANKS for ANY help!! xox

I went out today and purchased more fabric for the back of my pillow, and the button thingys to cover with fabrics. I found absolutely gorgeous buttons but I need 13 and they were $8 for two! Not happening....so I will use the covered buttons!

So now! What fabrics do I cover them with? I could not find any of the blue that I used for the backing of the quilt and did not feel like driving two hours there and back to visit Greenwood. So I decided since the quilt is predominantly white I will use the same white fabric on the back of the pillow.

My questions are:

- in the House of A La Mode pillow tutorial (.House. of A La Mode: Cathedral Windows - Part TWO!! ), her pillow has a nice band on the facing side of the envelope (does that make sense?). But the tutorial I'm using is the one suggested by Eliza at crazy mom quilts: how to make an envelope backed pillow which does not have this band. Any tips on how I could incorporate it?

- second - what fabric!? These are the fabrics (below) that I used in the quilt top and I used one of them to do the pillow. Should I cover the buttons with the same fabric? use plain white? use the printed white that I'm using for the backing? or one of the other colors! I need opinions please!

This is where the buttons will go..as you can see my thingys didn't line up so well.

photo 4-3.jpg

This is the only fabric I used in the pillow front...it is also on the quilt top...not sure how much of this I have left but likely enough.

photo 3-2.jpg

These are the rest of the fabrics:

photo 2-2.jpg photo 1-2.jpg photo 4-2.jpg photo 3-1.jpg photo 2-1.jpg photo 1-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X