Need help cutting a border.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help cutting a border.

I have a quilt top. The center panel is appliqu├ęd and there are 12" Sawtooth Stars blocks around that and a 4' border. When I measure for the final border I get 86" x 79". But when I measure across the center of the top I get 85" by 78". How do I cut my last border? Or do I try to cut off the first border to make it square? What are my chances for this thing being flat? This quilt is my daughter's wedding present and I'd like it to be a perfect as possible.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Re: Need help cutting a border.

Bonnie Hunters tips work well for me! She doesn't use a measuring tape to measure. She lays out the border fabric thru the center of the quilt and cuts it that size. Sew on, do the same for the other sides. It works awesome and is easier than trying to get accurate measurements with a measuring tape for long pieces. I've done at least 15-20 quilts this way and never have wavy borders!

If you have limited space to work, you can pin every foot or so as you are measuring, then fold up one end while you work on the other and it is just as accurate.

Border Hints and Tricks
    Last edited by katier825; April 18, 2014, 07:10 PM. Reason: additional comment

Comment

And it keeps your quilt pretty square. One of the best tips I've come across.

Comment

Sounds good. I'm going to cut tomorrow.
        Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

I always cut my border fabric 2-3" longer than needed so I don't end up short. Just the sewing process will take up some of the length, so if you cut it exact, you'll end up short. I speak from experience. JCY

Comment

Working...
          X