What's a "Dimensional Border"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a "Dimensional Border"?

I'm just cutting my fabric for the "Madonna and Child" wall hanging in Quilt Trends magazine, Winter 2014 issue, page 26. Here's a picture from the company that sells the quilt kit: Madonna and Child kit : Fern Hill, art of the state

I'm befuddled by the directions. The quilt has four borders. The first three are really straightforward, but the fourth is called a "dimensional border."

The pattern says to attach the first three borders, quilt as desired, then "trim the backing, batting and quilt top evenly all the way around.

The NEXT step is to attach the dimensional border (a thin, 1-5/8" strip of the multicolored fabric) and then to bind with the black fabric.

Have any of you ever heard of a "dimensional border"? Does this specifically mean a border that's not a part of the quilted wall hanging?

I appreciate any help you can give me in figuring out what to do.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Re: What's a "Dimensional Border"?

I'd think that was referring to a flange, but the picture looks like the flange is with the first border, not at the end?

Comment

You know, it would help if their picture actually showed the edge of the quilt so you could see the binding and what they might be talking about.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I'm with you, Karen. A picture or a diagram would have been nice.

Starlover, I think you may be right. They may mean that the multi-colored fabric sticks out like a flange. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU! I think that makes sense with their oh-too-brief instructions!

Comment

It looks like piping to me. That would be cool looking too.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I'd say it just is a piping of sorts. Pretty colors!

Comment

I admit, I had to look up dimensional borders. It's the flange between the borders. I really like this and it's a beautiful compliment to your quilt. I did this once years ago, but I didn't know what it was called. Can't wait to see your finished top.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DapTlyxKuY8

Comment

Thanks, everyone. This is my UFO for April, so hopefully I'll be posting a picture within the next couple of weeks.

Comment

I did one of those 'flanges' on my recent quilt. (didn't know that's what it was called. I call it flat piping, lol). They really do look good and this quilt you're doing is fabulous.
                  I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                  Lorraine

Comment

Ohhh I have done that on a runner before. Its like a flat piping, Had no idea what it was called. Learning something new everyday here
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

I found a larger picture of your quilt that shows the edges. It looks like that colorful flange is next to the binding.
                      Scroll down a few pictures to see: Frond Design Studios | Showcasing Frond's original hand-painted designs and their creators.

Comment

Working...
                      X